Chapter 25

Darius:

I made a quick pit stop on my way home to get Oakley to work his magic and erase any evidence of Riley's number and our interaction on my phone so that it's untraceable.

Now, I've just arrived home and parked my car. I stretch my arm out as I approach the front doors and walk right in as a maid opens them for me.

I thought that I could just walk straight up to my room and go to sleep but nope.

I should have known better.

"Darius." My mother calls, rushing up to me and holding my face in her hands.

Dad comes up closely behind and leans on one of the foyer walls.

"Where have you been? You were supposed to be home hours ago. Do you have any idea how worried we were?"

"She was worried." Dad says. "I was sleeping."

"We." Mom glares at him. "We were both worried, Miles."

"Right." He nods, eyes wide. "Yeah, no. We were-" He clears his throat. "We were so worried. For you."

She turns her eyes back on me. "The rest of the boys arrived home ages ago. Did something happen? Are you okay? Are you hurt?" She scans my body as her hands smooth up and down my arms.

"I'm fine, mama." I take her hands in my own, stopping their search for a nonexistent injury. "I had to take care of something."

"Without them?"

"I found out about it in the car. Everyone was tired. I didn't want to call them all back."

"But they would have. You know I don't like you doing that stuff alone." She says, knowing exactly what stuff I was doing. Her gaze drops to my legs and she gasps. "Where were you doing it."

I brace myself for a lecture.

"The uh... the wood-"

Before I can finish the sentence, she's already gaping with horror.

"The woods? Are you insane? Do you have any idea how dangerous that is? Do you know what kind of people like to lurk around in the woods at night, Darius? Murders. Serial killers and creepy people and crazies. You could have been killed!" She exclaims.

"I don't think we have to worry about that." Dad says. "Given the circumstances-"

"Shh." She hisses at him, immediately shutting him up.

"Oh, baby." Her tone turns from annoyed to sympathetic real quick. "You must be exhausted. How are your muscles? Are they tight? Should I extend your massage appointment?"

I hear my father snort and send a glower his way.

I don't know why he's laughing. Mom does the exact same thing to him.

It's not like I asked her to do it last night when she texted to see how things were going.

I look back at mom and she has tears in her eyes now. "You know how much I love you, right, Львенок?" (Little lion) The tears fall. "I love you so much."

"Woah." I gather her in my arms and she buries her face into my chest as I send a panicked look at my dad.

He seems to have no words so I shake my head and turn back to her, kissing her hair and beginning to rub circles onto her back.

"What's wrong, mama?"

"It's just," She sobs. "You're my only child. My beautiful boy. And if anything ever happens to you, I wouldn't know what to do."