Chapter 22

Donatella:

I walk through the halls a few days later, still feeling slightly down but surprisingly more recovered than I thought.

Darius had texted me later that night that he'd be busy for a while so as well as not coming to school, he couldn't make it to Wednesday's meeting and probably won't be at tonight's, either.

I told him it was okay and silently thanked the universe for the chance to process in time.

It's now Friday and today's classes went by in a bit of a flurry so I'm glad I get to go home, now.

The last bell went not too long ago and I'm currently making my way to the bathroom to wash my hands because I got highlighter on them and I hate the feeling of it.

Once I'm done, I go to dry my hands but the machine seems to not be working so I walk to the end stall to get some tissue.

I hear the door open and the clapping of heels on the tiled floor before the click of stalls being closed.

"I'm being serious. I'm over him."

"Girl. Don't lie to yourself."

I recognise the voices of Holland and Emily.

"I'm being serious. We never even went out. All we did was hook up a few times."

"So? You've liked him for a long time, Hol. Suddenly those feelings just vanished? I don't buy it."

"It's true. I've been thinking about it."

"You've been thinking about it."

"Yes. I have."

Two flushes echo and then two of the locked doors open and the rush of water sounds.

"Well, maybe you're wrong. I mean, I know Jeremy shut me down after we slept together but I still kind of like him."

"Em. You get attached to every guy you fucking speak to. I don't think this is the same."

"Hey, you know I'm working on that."

"I'm not shaming you. I'm just saying."

"And I'm just saying that you've had a crush on Darius for as long as I can remember. You can't just flip a switch and decide to not like him anymore."

Holland likes Darius?

"Why not?" She shrugs. "Like you said, it's been years. Nothing's come of it so far and now that he's hanging out with Donatella, I doubt it ever will."

"Why?"

"Because have you met her?" She scoffs. "She's like the sweetest person on the planet. I've never met anyone more likeable than her. It's only a matter of time before he falls for her just like every other guy in this school."

What?

"But Darius is the biggest playboy in the school. He's never caught feelings. For anyone."

"Well, I don't want to get even more hurt on the possibility that he does. You've known her for a while, Em. She's like, impossible to not like. And they've been spending more time together, lately."

"So what? You've known him longer. How is that fair?"

"Feelings aren't fair."

"Well, they should be. You're the most popular girl in school. He's the most popular guy in school. You've been friends for ages. You should be the one to have him, not her. I bet she's made this a whole plan. I bet she begged their English teacher to make them partners so that she can seduce him. I bet she's just a typical Darius Ford slut-"