Chapter 40

Donatella:

After I've freshened up and changed into a different outfit, a light pink tennis skirt, a full sleeve white top, a pair of white, block heeled boots and a pink ribbon tied at the back of my head, keeping a few strands there, we got back into the car and began our next drive.

It took a while to get where we are now, which ch kind of looks like the middle of nowhere.

"You ready?" He asks, squeezing my thigh.

"Mhm." I nod and then he gets out, coming round to help me.

He takes my hand, interlocking our fingers and pulling me along.

"What is this place?"

"It's a race track." He says.

"A what?" My eyes round. "Like an illegal one?" I gasp.

It can't not be. Given that it's located in this kind of area, surrounded by yards of empty ground and forest.

"Don't worry." He ensures. "Nothing's going to happen. We built this place years ago and we've never had a problem."

"You made it?" Comes my surprise reply.

He hums. "We were all letting off some steam, chasing each other in our cars and somehow, we ended up here. We looked around and there was nothing. It was all just land waiting to be utilised. So we did. We thought that it could be a good place to do what brought us he here in the first place. We raced each other for a while but we generally don't compete with each other and it was getting kind of boring. One day, Angel brought up the idea of having a giant ass party." He laughs. "And as you'll get to know, he can be very persuasive. We had the party and it seemed others were interested in taking part. A few challengers stepped up and tried to win. They didn't but from that day, people have come on our say so. Whether that be for the races or to party or whatever. People who want cash can bet on who they think will win. That's sort of bullshit, though. Considering whenever it's one of us racing, we all know who the winner will be."

Humble as ever.

But...Wow. Wow to, all of it. I can tell that this place means a lot to him and I'm sure it means a lot to his friends, too. The fact that he brought me here, that he even considered bringing me to a place he holds dear, it warms my heart. It makes me feel valued. It makes me wonder how this hasn't existed for years.

It makes me miss him. Even when he's standing right here. Even when I feel closer to him than ever.

"Thank you." I squeeze his hand, gazing up at him, only to find him already looking at me. "For bringing me here."

The corners of his lips top up in a small smile and he leans down, pressing a gentle kiss to mine. "Come on."

He guides us through the throngs of people, several of which shout his name, asking him questions or propositioning him. Those, I'm not too fond of hearing.

We're so near that I feel the vibrations of his chuckle. "Ignore them."

"Hm." I bite my bottom lip, instead focusing on everything around me.

There are lights illuminating the vast outdoor space. Music filters out through speakers I can't see and the roaring and rumble of engines echo into the night, keeping it alive.

We come to a set of stairs and I hesitate.

He steps in front of me, reaching up with his other hand to cup my face. "Look at me."

I do.

"Don't be nervous. I'm right here. I want you here. This isn't an ambush or a test. These are my brothers and I want them to meet you. Because they're important to me. And you're most important."