Chapter 32

Donatella:

I take a step back and look at myself in the mirror.

My reflection gazes back at me, dressed in a cute mini, light pink tweed dress and white satin court heels that are decorated with small pearls and rhinestones. My ears hold simple pearls and so does one of my wrists. My hair is straight and falls down my back. I tilt my head, glancing towards the side and reaching over, picking up a pearl headband and working it onto my head. There. I'm ready.

Josh texted me earlier to ask what I wanted to do but I didn't really have an idea so we both settled on dinner. We're supposed to meet up at the restaurant in just over an hour. He said that he would rather have picked me up but he has to take his grandma to her hospital appointment.

His grandma is a lovely person and it's not serious. Just a monthly checkup. He told me that he'd meet me there.

I spritz on some perfume and grab my chosen bag, a classic white Chanel with a gold buckle. I shorten the golden strap and hook it over my shoulder. Then, give my makeup a quick once over before making my way out of the door.

"Bạn đi bây giơ a?" (Are you leaving now)   My mother asks as I descend the main staircase.

"Mhm. I'll be back in a few hours."

There's is an amused gleam in her eyes.

"You're enjoying this." I gage.

"I am doing no such thing." She denies. Then, steps forward and gives me a hug. "Be safe. Have fun. tôi sẽ gặp bạn sớm thôi." (I will see you soon)

I nod and she watches as I move out of the door and to the car.

I settle into my seat and bring our my phone, checking my notifications.

I didn't see Darius at school today. Oakley or Jeremy or Lee, either. Their added absences are slightly suspicious. Though, not surprising. I know that they do that a lot.

I keep thinking about how his nonchalance about the news of my date made me feel off. Still makes me feel off.

And I can't help wondering if maybe, I want him to care. Want him to be bothered by it.

But another part of me labels that thought as crazy and senseless. Why should he be affected by it?

I sigh. Turning off my phone and rolling my head sideways so that I'm facing the window.

Eight o'clock has just passed and the hue of evening has successfully blended with the remnant of the afternoon azure. Lights glitter and shine from street lanterns and buildings and come in and out of view as we pass them.

I blink slowly.

Time always seems to go by slower like this. When I'm sat in the back of the car. No matter if there's silence of music drifting from the speakers.

Anh Hoàng isn't much of a talker. He's wonderful. Just quiet. And I love him that way. It makes the times when he's the opposite that much more special.

But since he doesn't talk so often, and I allow him his peace, it means that there isn't much going on during our rides.

I sit. I daydream. I listen to the melodies of the music, I think.

Lately, there's one thing specifically I've been thinking about. Or rather, one person.

But I just don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.