Chapter 17

Darius:

I pocket my phone and run a hand through my hair, blowing out a breath.

"Bambi got you all hot and bothered?"

I shoot Oakley a glare. "Get off of my bed."

"I'm not hearing a denial." Mads comments with a grin plastered to his lips.

"You, too. Both of you. Stand the fuck up."

They do as I say, raising and sniggering to themselves as I swipe my keys off of the nightstand.

"I wasn't even talking to her."

"Sure you weren't. With that adorable concerned look on your face. Is she okay? Still able be a pretty ballerina?"

"One: I didn't have any look on my face. Concerned or adorable. And two: I don't know. Probably."

"You think she's pretty?" Oak smiles.

"Sure she is." I say. "I've said it before. It's not a fucking secret. You've seen her."

"Hm." He nods.

"Whatever you're thinking, stop. You two sound like fucking girls, right now. There's nothing deeper than what you're already seeing."

"Fine. Fine. We'll stop." Madden nudges his elbow into my ribs.

"For now." Oak song-songs as we then slide into my car.

I roll my eyes, revving the engine and pressing shuffle on a playlist. Heartless by The Weekend vibrating in the speakers.

After a few minutes of driving, I stop at a gas station to fill up my tank.

"Let me do it." Oakley volunteers. "I need some fucking sugar."

He gets out and I lean back, noticing Mads's solemn look as he stares outside the window.

"Hey." I call and he flicks his gaze towards me. "You good?"

"Fine." He breathes.

"Is it your parents?"

He chews on his bottom lip, letting out a sigh. "When is it not?"

"What is it this time?"

"It's not just fucking this time." He pins daggers onto the glovebox. "It's fucking all the time."

"How are Rosie and Evander?" I ask.

"They're physically fine. But Rosalie's getting tired of my mom always keeping her busy and Evander's sick of always thinking he's done something wrong."

"What does he say when you tell him it isn't his fucking fault?"

"He doesn't believe me." He tips his head to the roof. "I get it. I thought the same way as him at twelve but..."

"It's fucked up." I finish for him.

"Yeah. It's all fucked up."

"You know you three can stay with us whenever you want. My mom would love it. Especially having Rosie around. And my dad would make sure Evan didn't feel like how he does at home."

"I know." He swallows. "Thanks, man."

"Of course. We're family." I return his awaiting fist. "And that makes them family, too."

He nods in gratitude and then Oakley barrels into the backseat.

He throws two packets into each of our laps. Dark honeycomb chocolate for Mads and snickers for me. A giant pack of skittles in his own lap.