<12>

In the evening, Haider reached the garden where his mother was seated under the blue shade, enjoying a delicious cup of tea and a nice breeze together. He was been told by a maid that she wanted to see him. At first, he became doubtful about it. Did the drama of a happily married couple become so loose by that girl that someone came to the point of suspecting it? After all, she only had a mouth to speak in the loneliness of their room. In front of other people, she came numb.

Not that she was able to mask her shivering body, sweaty hands, and trembling voice with him as well. Haider remembered the time when he first time saw her; she was too frightened and complied with whatever he was saying. However, he was shockingly surprised to find a girl like her to speak against him- even if all the signs of fear and intimidation were taken out. Yet, he knew what he acted with her on the wedding night was beyond any justification. He needed to pull himself back and take Nisha out of his mind and not to feel the same hatred for Ishmal in this way.

But no. The show-off wasn't that bogus that it would get revealed in just a day. Besides, an early sign of that girl being not deserving of their son would be acting in his favor anyway. After this time, Haider would have a strong lead. His parents wouldn't be able to now blackmail him to get a new wife.

Haider greeted his mother. "You called me here Mom?"

Aqia nodded. "Come Haider. Would you like to have some tea?"

Haider shook his head before occupying the chair opposite him. "I am good."

Aqia kept the cup on the table. "Ishmal's brother was your really good friend. You said you have known him for a while. That means you knew Ishmal very well considering the fact you chose her as your wife."

Haider had an idea that this talk would be about Ishmal and his marriage but this vague question made him raise a brow. What point his mother was trying to make here?

"You are right," he said.

"But I found Ishmal very stiff and fearful. Like she is holding back on something. What's the reason for it? You didn't say anything to her, right?" She again asked.

Haider exhaled to calm himself down. It was all becoming a web of lies. "There's is nothing like that, Mom. Why would I say something to her? I chose her and her brother liked my proposal for her. He must have asked for her opinion. That's the reason she is here as my wife."

Aqia nodded thoughtfully. "Perhaps you are right. Ishmal's family is very small. She only has a brother hence the awkwardness she has here. Also, don't forget that sudden nikkah. But tell her Haider that we are all her family now. And there is no need for her to feel stranger to us. She is your wife and we will love and respect her from this reference."

Haider pursed his lips together. Wasn't it going the other way around than what he thought? She was coming across as someone who was not good in public and rude which he wanted. But maybe Ishmal really needed some time for this. It was all so sudden for her. And after all after three or four months, he would get rid of her by making any excuse.

"You shouldn't worry about it. She will get better with time. There is nothing fearful concerning her. It's all just new for her," Haider retorted, part of it was true as well.

Aqia smiled. "I am so glad Haider that you finally thought about your life. Now Ishmal is your wife and make her your pride. Don't let the past affect your marriage. Just overlook everything and focus on your wife."

Suddenly Haider felt weird after hearing this from his mother. She was so happy for his marriage and here he was making a fool out of everyone by faking it. Nonetheless what he could have done? The hit on his male ego and self-respect got criminally tarnished eight years ago when Nisha betrayed him.