Chapter 285

"It's not urgent, but we have some work to do. We'll save Lydia in 3 days."

The meeting at sunrise in 3 days is supposed to take place at an observatory by the Abyss. This is where I'll be able to find this mysterious Boss, as well as a new hidden variable. A craftsman capable of making mind-reading items.

The exact location of this hideout is still unknown, but at least we have a reference and some very solid clues. We may be in a rush to get information, but the immediate threat to Lydia's life has been averted for now.

I reach into my dimensional storage and take out the pile of item boxes that were lying out on the desk before the room was completely destroyed.

"Here, I managed to find all your gear too."

My teammates pause for a moment, still taking in my words from earlier and staring at the sight before their eyes.

The burnt and decimated remains of the office behind me raise too many questions to ask, so they just take their item boxes and sort out which one belongs to each of them.

Arie speaks up first.

"I think our best plan of action is to get out of here... then everyone can share their findings once we have a safe and secure place to talk."

I nod.

"Agreed."

My gaze travels left and right while I scan the marketplace, finding the point nearby on this floor where most people are traveling upward.

I point in that direction, but the old man speaks while facing the same way before I do.

"If you need a safe place to stay, my home may suffice. It's small, but not near the center of the city. I'm happy to let you stay for a while. Plus... Now I feel obligated to help. I had no idea you were heading to the Abyss."

Abby looks hesitant and speaks while tying her item box around her waist.

"What's the Abyss? A-And how can we trust him? Won't an old man just slow us down?"

The green-haired healer has been in a very bad mood ever since we were released, and rightfully so. I understand why she's pissed off, so I respond mid-sigh trying to de-escalate the situation.

"We can trust him. Chester is as much a victim as all of us. He actually has the key to solving the final clue in finding Lydia. We just need a moment to talk without wandering eyes."

I look around the corridor, implying that anyone could be watching.

Abby begins to interject but decides to nod and tighten her lips.

Maria chimes in.

"I'm exhausted and starving. I think we're all in the same boat here."

Both Arie and Fisher shrug and Agree. The Archer looks like he's thinking deeply about something still while the water mage appears paranoid and pale in the face.

Hopefully, a hot meal will get his color back.

I turn to the old man with a smile.

"Great, it's settled. Lead the way."

He happily agrees and we make our way through the next section of the Black Market.

A few heads turn as we walk out of the marketplace's dead zone, especially following the loud clang and explosion that could be heard throughout the entire floor.

A few lights flicker, and it's clear we were up to no good but we run into no trouble while getting to the surface. We keep our heads down and mind our own business. I've reverted back to my original form, but keep the picture of the number 5 and now number 2 agents clear in my mind.