Chapter 351

To make the previous match even more convincing, I stand up and start walking with a limp before facing the crowd again and placing a thumb in the air to begin the next match.

The announcer yells in an excited tone.

"That's what we like to see! At this rate, The Flame Emperor could actually do it, he could defeat the 6th stage monster and become a Legacy fighter on his first time in the ring!"

The crowd erupts with cheers again, but I don't like how positively they're taking things. I want them to have no confidence I can defeat the next opponent that is teleported in.

At this thought, I cough and drop to my knees, holding my chest and let my sword hit the ground with a clang.

This makes the announcer pause, and the crowd begins to whisper and talk amongst themselves. Still, I raise a thumb and slowly get back up to my feet while using my sword as a crutch.

My wristband clearly states that I'm still at 100% of max HP, but I cover it up underneath my red cloak in case anyone in the audience has extra keen eyes. Unlike them, the announcer is not worried at all. His voice still rings out as enthusiastic as ever.

"Here in the Valor City fight arena, we don't hold back. Even if you're injured from the past stage, we won't go easy on you. Everyone place your bets! The Flame Emperor will be facing a level 599 Red Ogre Tyrant in the Stage 6 matchup!"

My eyes widen at the announcement.

The crowd goes silent too...

My opponent in this next round is going to be the maximum level available for a stage this high. I don't know who is choosing these opponents behind the scenes, but it's like they read my mind... This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

After the awkward moment of silence, the crowd begins to cheer again and rumble the stands around the arena and even slightly shake the floor itself.

The odds that pop up on my wristband make me smile inwardly, but I don't dare show even a little bit of emotion before the match begins.

For the first time in the event tonight, the betting odds are stacked against me. I stare down at the numbers, and it says 2.67x for a bet on myself and it keeps on rising.

I make a slow walk around the ring, just to make sure everyone can see the sorry shape I'm in and the crowd's confidence toward me as the potential winner in this fight lessens more and more.

The odds raise past 3.00x and I hear a few people yell out in the front rows down to me.

"Forfeit while you still have your dignity!"

"This will be the easiest money I've ever made. I'm going all in on the Red Ogre!"

"Look at him! He can barely stand. That last battle was all luck, there's no way he becomes a legacy fighter with moves like that."

"The Red Ogre Tyrant is more powerful than any normal Red Ogre, he doesn't stand a chance! Even Ace lost to one of these last week, my bet is on him losing too!"

I walk back to the center of the ring after my full lap and the announcer starts counting down for the fight to start.

"The match will begin shortly! Get ready in 10...9...8..."

More and more bets are placed and I peek at my watch to see the odds against me rise to 4.29x.

"7...6...5..."

I enter 75 gold into the betting notification, and wait longer for every last bet to be placed. The odds keep rising, and I want to lock in my bet at the highest payout I possibly can.