07: Cooking Lesson

-
Word Count: 2586

Y/N's POV
-

I usually buy something to eat for lunch at campus, but on days off, that wasn't possible. Rosé and I, each had our own errands to take care of, so it was impossible to eat both lunch and dinner together. Even if it had been doable, I would've felt supremely guilty asking Rosé to make and eat two meals with me.

Usually, I only needed to handle my weekend lunches myself, but if I made too frequent use of the convenience store, Rosé would scold me, saying something like "You need to eat a properly balanced diet."

With the costs of my dinners piling up, I also felt awkward about going out to eat for lunch.

What to do for my midday meal was quickly becoming an issue.

"I wonder if I should cook something?"

Without any errands that would take me out of the house, I sat at home by myself. Noon was only an hour away.

Rosé had likely already gotten started making something for herself, but the same could not be said for her hapless neighbor.

When it came down to it, I could make something if I really had to. It wasn't like in manga where I'd churn out some censored blob. While it wouldn't look particularly fantastic and might not taste spectacular, the food I was capable of creating was edible. It wasn't exactly cooking, but it was close enough, and it kept me fed.

The problem was that I'd grown accustomed to Rosé's top-rate meals, so the idea of going back to my own dishes was not particularly appealing. Nobody would want to go back to such plain fare after sampling such delicious works of art.

"Ugh, Rosé really spoils me."

I had become a slave to Rosé's cooking. I felt ashamed at the thought of going out to eat again, but I'd also lost interest in convenience store meals.

Deciding that I'd been depending on Rosé too much, I concluded this was a good time to challenge myself. Even though I'd failed when it came to preparing my own meals thus far.

Rosé wouldn't be with me forever, after all. Things between us were nice and reliable for now, but there were still two years of college left, so if anything happened during that time, this relationship of ours might come to an abrupt end.

What's more, we would surely go our separate ways when it came time for work. There was no way things would simply go on like this indefinitely.

I guess I'd better try to put in a little effort now, while I still have her around.

Resolving to do something, even if it was relatively minor, I stood up from the sofa and grabbed my wallet.

-

"Oh, did you go to the supermarket?"

On my way back from the store, I ran into Rosé in the apartment lobby. I wasn't sure if the coincidental meeting was good or bad. Rosé looked like she'd also just gone out because she was carrying a shopping bag from the nearby stationery store.

"Yeah," I admitted. There was no need to hide it, so I waved my supermarket bags to show Rosé.

With a curious expression, Rosé asked, "Oh, was the shopping from yesterday not enough? Didn't you buy everything on the list?"

"N-no, that's not it... I just... I thought I might try making lunch on my own," I said.

"On your own?"

Despite the explanation, Rosé's eyes seemed full of doubt. It was only natural.

Before becoming dependent on Rosé's cooking, I had survived by buying premade meals and convenience store lunches. It must have been difficult for Rosé to believe that I was really going to cook for myself.