22: Bit of Intimacy

Word Count: 5,900

"Listen, I'm not a kid anymore, you know." My exasperation is obvious as I answer my mother's phone call. I'm about to attend the school entrance ceremony that marks the start of my second year of university, after all.

I couldn't decide whether I was more impressed or irritated by my mother's ability to time her call for the one free moment in my busy morning routine. She worries too much, I think as I sink into the sofa.

My mother had gotten used to the idea of me living alone, but she was clearly still concerned that an old wound of mine might have opened again, dredging up memories of something from my second year of high school.

As far as I'm concerned, though the scar aches sometimes, it never bothers me much. And more importantly, I don't want to worry my parents.

"I'm fine. Really—I'll be all right on my own."

"You come tell me anytime it gets tough, okay? Oh, even better, you can lean on sweet Rosé!"

"Yeah, yeah..." Why is she so hung up on Rosé and me?

My mother has taken a liking to Rosé and clearly wants us to spend more time together, but I feel like it's really none of her business. When it comes to matters of romance, I don't ask for or want any parental meddling, even if she only means well.

Most of all, I don't want my mother to figure out just how fond of Rosé I really am, so I opt to keep quiet and don't engage.

"I bet Rosé would be very receptive."

"Uh-huh..."

"At any rate, if you're having a rough time, make sure to ask someone for help, okay? It can be anyone. I still think Rosé would be just perfect, but—"

"Look, I've gotta go soon, so I'm hanging up. Thanks for worrying about me so early in the morning."

I didn't want my mother to speculate about my relationship with Rosé any further, so I quickly thanked her and ended the call. I could already imagine her on the other end of the line, probably pouting in displeasure. She was concerned about me, but she was worrying way too much.

My scars did ache, but not so much that it would bring me to my knees. Besides, it wouldn't bother me if I just didn't think about it.

...Better to not reach out if I don't need to.

As long as the people I trust stay with me, everything will be fine. I wasn't worried about the class changes for the new semester. After all, there was nothing I could do, so I had decided to do my best to accept whatever came.

Staring at my own gloomy, melancholic reflection in the darkened screen of my phone, I smiled bleakly. If Lisa and Jennie saw me like this, they'd slap me right on the back, I thought as I stood up from the sofa and left for the first day of uni.

Walking to school after two weeks off felt a bit nostalgic. After arriving, I approached the central bulletin board, intending to check the rosters for each class posted there.

Although I had come a little earlier than usual, it was the start of the new semester, so plenty of other students were already there—and surprisingly, one of them was my friend Jennie, who emerged from the crowd to greet me.

"Hey, what's up, Y/N. Looks like you just got here."

"Morning. Is the sky falling or something? I can't believe you got here before I did."

"My dad chased me out of the house," Jennie replied with a small grin. "He said I should at least be early for the first day." She shrugged, as if there was nothing interesting about it.