09: Christmas for Two

-
Word Count: 5595

Y/N's POV
-

When Rosé arrived at my apartment the following day, she seemed a little restless. It would've been perfectly understandable to be nervous about visiting the home of a non-relative on a holiday, but that didn't seem to be it.

Rosé wants to play games. She's probably just excited.

Apparently, this would be her first time ever playing a video game. In some ways, she was like a sheltered highborn young lady who knew little of the world at large.

"Before we play, I'll make lunch, okay?" Rosé confirmed.

"Mm. I'll have mine well done, please," I answered casually.

"I know. I remember."

Even dealing with such a demanding customer didn't seem to dampen Rosé's mood. With a flutter of her apron, she headed for the kitchen and began preparations for lunch. From the way she was behaving, Rosé seemed to be quite pleased.

I felt a little awkward and embarrassed about how much I had been looking forward to this.

It's just because I'm looking forward to enjoying the games, that's all, I told myself. It certainly was not that I had been excited about spending time alone with the next-door angel. As I watched Rosé's ponytail swaying back and forth, I smiled wryly to myself.

-

"How are you supposed to hold it?"

After lunch, the two of us settled on the sofa in front of the TV. Both of us were now looking straight at the screen.

When I had asked her what game she wanted to play, it became apparent that Rosé didn't even know where to start, so I booted up a well-known 2D game and handed her a controller. Unfortunately, Rosé immediately got flustered as it became apparent that she had no idea what to do with it.

"Uh, okay, so you move around with this joystick, and you jump with this button..."

Rosé, usually so calm and collected, was looking back and forth between the controller and the TV as she manipulated her character on the screen. It was obvious that this was her first time. She charged straight at the enemies without dodging, dying over and over again. I began to wonder if perhaps there were things even an angel couldn't do, though she did seem to be gradually improving, if ever so slowly.

"I can't win," Rosé professed.

"Never mind clearing the stage-you haven't even defeated the first enemy," I observed.

"Oh, shut up."

"Well, it's just a matter of practice- you gotta keep trying. Get that muscle memory." I warned Rosé that it would be a challenge, but she didn't seem ready to give up. It was charming to watch her tackle the game with such a serious expression. I couldn't help but smile.

Unfortunately, Rosé was just too much of a beginner and kept on losing. Eventually, it was obvious that she was growing frustrated. As she shot a glance at me, I could have sworn I heard a game-like sound effect accompany her sullen face.

"Ah, here, you need to do it like this..." Rosé was sure to lose interest if she continued to metaphorically bash her head against a wall, so I put my hand on the controller she was holding and tried to physically show her what to do.

I had cleared this game on countless occasions, so I was able to help Rosé get through tough spots. Surprisingly, Rosé was actually worse than the average player. Most people wouldn't have gotten stuck nearly as many times as she did, but I kept that thought private.