47: All Yours

Word Count: 3,875

"Aww, I'm on the red team!" Lisa whined mournfully when she saw the announcement about the upcoming Sports Day.

Jennie had already seen the results and knew that she had been assigned the white team, making them opponents for once.

"If they're going to the trouble of dividing us up, they could have at least put us on the teams that match our names..." She groaned.

"Either way, you'd still be on different teams," Jisoo reminded her.

Jennie's surname was Kim, which contained the character for red, and Lisa's was Manobal, which contained the character for white. At school, they were sometimes called the "red and white couple."

"That's true... it's really tragic... a forbidden love, two people drawn to each other despite being on opposing sides..."

Not bothering to hide her exasperation at the two who were lamenting their fates as yet another way to flirt with each other, I gazed at the paper that showed how the students were divided up.

I was on the red team with Jisoo and Lisa, while Jennie and Rosé had been assigned to the white team. Although that meant I would be with the track and field ace, it appeared that the opposing side included more members from the school sports clubs overall.

I didn't particularly care whether my team won or lost, but I did want to put on a good show for Rosé.

"What events do you want, Y/N?" Jennie asked when she'd finished flirting with Lisa.

She and Lisa were on the class's Sports Day executive committee together. It was exactly the sort of thing that a popular, energetic girl like Jennie would sign up for.

She was famous for avoiding putting too much effort into anything, which confused me as to why my friend took on so many class leadership roles.

"What events are there again?"

"The events left are the sprints, relays, obstacle course, scavenger hunt, three-legged race, ball toss, and tug-of-war. I'm guessing the interclass relay isn't of much interest to a member of the 'go-home club' like you."

"I guess the ball toss would be good."

"Of course you'd go for the most boring one... Well, just remember you have to do at least two activities."

"Alright, I want the ball toss and the scavenger hunt."

I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of Rosé, and I had a feeling that the relays and sprints would be dominated by the members of the athletic clubs.

Jennie, who I would normally pair up with for the three-legged race, was on the opposing team, and although I had Jisoo, I didn't have the confidence that I could keep up with her given her strength and speed.

So I chose the easier events, and Jennie put on a bitter smile.

"You're really going for the boring ones, huh...? But you know, depending on what happens, the scavenger hunt race might be really exciting."

"Well, I don't do a lot of running, so..."

"You never change!"

I wanted to avoid any direct competition against the sports clubs and figured participating in the games meant for the students in the cultural clubs was the safest option.

"The problem is the team battle with everyone," I said. "You're on the opposing team, after all."

The only classmates I was especially good friends with were Jennie and Jisoo. I figured that Jisoo might let me join their team out of consideration, but even if they did, I suspected that I would end up feeling a little isolated.
Since most classmates would form teams with their friends, I, who prided myself on being a wallflower, usually wasn't enthusiastic about Sports Day.