Epilogue: Lips of an Angel

Word Count: 6,555

"The two of you are going out today, right?" Shihoko asked as the four of you took your seats at the breakfast table.

Your parents looked very pleased, and you started to regret telling them that you and Rosé had made plans. But your mother didn't mean to tease you. "I'm sure you're bored being cooped up in the house," she added quickly.

"Well, we're not really going anywhere in particular," you replied, "just taking a little walk."

"We haven't gone anywhere yet, so I'm looking forward to it," Rosé added.

In the three days since you had arrived, Rosé had gone shopping with your father on the first day, but aside from that, you had passed the time at the house. Your parents had been keeping Rosé busy, and it wasn't like she was going to wander aimlessly in an unfamiliar neighborhood.

You had expected your parents to take you out to places, but instead they had chosen to relax at home, so you figured you would at least show Rosé around town.

"There's really nothing around here except parks and a supermarket, you know? It's a different story if we go into town, though. Do you want to go?"

"No, taking a stroll with you sounds just fine. I'm happy just walking together."

"...Is that so?"

You knew the answer. Rosé didn't have any particular place she wanted to visit - just going out and spending time with you was enough for her. Her affection gradually warmed your chest. You could see by her expression that she really was happy being with you, and you found yourself looking away out of embarrassment and joy.

"You know, they already seem like they're more than just dating," your father remarked.

"We were like that when we were young, too, Shuuto," your mother replied.

"No, you weren't as well-behaved as Rosé here."

"Oh, that's not nice!"

"But I thought you were cute just the way you were."

"Well!"

Shihoko blushed as Shuuto complimented her. Thinking that it was too early to be listening to that kind of thing, you focused on stuffing your face with the omelet your mother had made for breakfast.

It was tasty enough, but even so, you really did prefer Rosé's cooking - and not just because she was your girlfriend. Now that you were accustomed to Rosé's cooking, you found your mother's food somewhat disappointing.

You looked over at Rosé, thinking that you should ask her to make breakfast some other day, and saw her looking at your parents with a mixture of adoration, envy, and acute bashfulness. You knew what she must be thinking and began feeling embarrassed, too.

"...Of course, I don't think we could ever be as lovey-dovey as those two..." you thought to yourself.

Even so, you did think it would be nice if you could get that close, to have what Rosé was imagining. You did want that, even though you couldn't admit it out loud yet.

Looking again at your parents, who had always been affectionate toward one another, you imagined your own future someday and blushed slightly.

-

"Well, should we get going?" you asked Rosé.

Shortly after your parents left for work, you turned to Rosé, who was sitting on the sofa. It was still morning, and you weren't planning on walking that far. You were just going to take a relaxed stroll around the neighborhood, so you figured you would easily make it back in time for lunch - Rosé was planning to make carbonara. You would return to the house by midday, so you wouldn't be outside for that long.