60: Welcome Home

Author's note:

To those who are still here—let me know if the POV bothers you.

We will go back to Y/N's first person POV if you want.

Smile for me.

-

Word Count: 6,455

"Did you lock all your doors and windows?"

"You watched me do it, didn't you?"

In the hallway in front of your apartments, Rosé reminded you as if she was your teacher or something, and you answered with a small, wry smile. Normally she wouldn't go out of her way to say something like that, but she seemed to be worried, since your places would be vacant for a while. You were leaving that day to go back to your family home for about two weeks, and Rosé was making sure that nothing would happen while you were away.

"I did see you do it, but I'm asking just in case."

"Okay, okay. My turn—you didn't forget anything, did you?"

"I didn't. We already sent everything we needed ahead of time, and I checked my handbag again early this morning. Everything is locked up tight, and I took out the garbage from your place, and then I went over the contents of the fridge, so you can rest easy."

"Thanks for going to all that trouble."

Naturally, there was no way you could carry everything you needed for two weeks with you, so you had employed a parcel service so nothing would go overlooked. On top of that, Rosé had taken care of everything at your apartment. You were no match for her.

Feeling grateful that she paid attention to such details, you took Rosé's bag from her and replaced it with your hand. After blinking several times, Rosé said quietly and bashfully, "That's one thing I like about you, Y/N," and squeezed your hand.

Your family home was located a little more than an hour's distance away by bullet train from where you and Rosé lived in the city. The two of you sat down in your reserved seats and amused yourselves by chatting and enjoying the scenery, and in no time the train was pulling into your hometown. It had been about a year since you had seen that station, but it felt longer, and an inexpressible wave of nostalgia came over you as you pulled Rosé along by the hand to the rendezvous spot.

"So this is your hometown."

"Mm-hmm. Well, that's not exactly right, since you can't get to my house without changing trains or going a little farther by car."

The bullet train only stopped at major stations, so you had to get off here, but it would actually take a little more time to get to where you were going. This time, your mother had been available, so she had offered to come meet you, and you had taken her up on it. Her offer was probably motivated by the desire to see Rosé as soon as possible.

Walking toward the large pillar near the ticket gates that was often used as a meetup spot, you spotted your mother, even at a distance. Naturally, you felt awkward about holding hands in front of your mother, so you let go of Rosé's hand. You sensed a slight air of dejection coming from her, so you patted her back lightly.

"Forgive me just this once, since we haven’t told her we’re dating yet."

It's become routine for you and Rosé to hold hands, so you're careful not to do it without thinking about it, especially while visiting your hometown. Even Rosé, who's a little reluctant to let go, seems to understand once she spots your mother and regains her usual expression. Once you and Rosé's mother see each other, she puts on a charming, cheerful smile as you approach.