40: A Moment Before the Test

Word Count: 3,238

The Sunday before the start of exams, I was studying quietly in my own room. I wanted to get high marks, but there was also another reason I was studying—I was trying to drive thoughts of Rosé out of my head.

"…I’m going to spoil you as much as I want, so just sit back and enjoy the ride, okay?"

Rosé had whispered those unbelievable words with a devilish smile, and now thoughts of her threatened to fill my head, leaving room for nothing else. I didn't know whether Rosé's recent suggestive behavior toward me was intentional, but it was certainly effective. I appreciated it, but at the same time, it made me nervous.

Until I was sure of Rosé's intentions, I couldn't really make a move. All sorts of questions troubled me, so to drive them all away, I'd been studying furiously since early morning. My efforts were at least somewhat successful because I'd gotten so caught up in the work that by the time I realized, it was past two in the afternoon.

The fact that I had worked straight through without eating lunch was proof of how focused I had been, but now that I had noticed the time and checked the clock, my stomach immediately growled with hunger.

"…I guess I should at least eat lunch."

I stretched out to relieve some of the stiffness that had built up after sitting in one place for so long. Then I stood up and left my room.

Rosé had said she would be home alone studying for exams that day, and she hadn't come over to my place. That meant I would have to fix lunch on my own.

Thinking about how I'd been spoiled with good food since meeting Rosé, I headed for the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. I put a frozen portion of rice that had been set aside for quick use into the microwave, and while it was thawing, I took a bowl and scooped out several types of the preserved vegetables that Rosé had prepared ahead of time, guaranteeing some color and nutrients for my meal.

All of this is Rosé's doing. If it had been just me, I wouldn't have prepared any vegetables. My lunch would've come from the convenience store.

Now I had a decent amount of food in the house, and I also knew how to whip up some stuff myself.

They weren't on the same level as Rosé's cooking, which was always mouthwatering, Instagram-worthy, and packed with nutrients. But hey, I had picked up a few tricks along the way.

Using what I'd learned from Rosé, I threw together a simple fried rice for lunch with just eggs and bacon. And thanks to the side dishes Rosé had prepped, the whole meal ended up looking pretty colorful. I added some instant Chinese-style soup to complete the easy lunch combo.

I loaded everything onto a tray and carried it over to the dining table.

"Time to dig in."

With a soft smile, I marveled at the fact that I had managed to put together a weekend lunch that I wouldn't have even dreamed of before. I clasped my hands together in gratitude and grabbed my spoon.

As I brought the fried rice to my mouth, I noticed it had a slightly different flavor from Rosé's. But you know what? It wasn't half bad. For something whipped up by a university girl, it turned out to be pretty well-seasoned.

It's really something, huh?

My eating habits had completely changed, and so had various other things about me. In all sorts of ways, I had become completely spoiled. I wondered if I was becoming a better person in my daily life. After experiencing life with Rosé, I didn't want to return to my previous existence. Now that I knew life could be this good, I didn't want to go back.