Kindergarten

Kindergarten

When I was five years old in kindergarten at Excel Elementary I was placed in a class with probably twenty or so students. There are two memories in reference to this class that have seemed to have never escaped my mind in the last 25 years. Beginning with an invasion of privacy that was sexual based Every single time, boy or girl, as soon as one of us entered the restroom an African American girl would run behind us before we could lock the door and open it to where our privates were exposed to primarily her, but the rest of the class. We told the teacher that this girl did this repeatedly to everyone, and it was done in complete sight and supervision of the teacher but nothing was done, she did nothing to stop this abhorrent act.

The second memory is that one day when we were learning letters at our desks there was a kid from Mexico that didn't speak any English that would always look over at my paper and copy my answers. When I tried to stop this from happening during our test through words and verbal communication the teacher Mrs. Pierce told me "I already told you once to stop talking, go to the punishment square." I began crying because really I had done nothing wrong and yet I was forced to stand in a square in front of the class with tears dripping down. This may seem trivial, but that one event on that one day hurt tremendously and ignited my doubt in there being right and good in people, even at the age of five I could rationalize this.