He'll Swing on You

He'll Swing on You

When I was probably 12 or 13 years old and my family was all living at Broken Lane I recall one day my mother came to get me from my room to help with my father. I followed her into their bedroom and my father was going crazy is the best way to put it. I tried to talk him down he was kind of on one knee in front of me and my mother just said "watch out he'll clock you." Meaning that my father in is current state of psychosis might assume me the enemy and try to attack.

Thing is, I was lifting weights 4 days a week and was very fast and gifted with a good arm, so all of those factors but what I told my mother was a focus on speed. That "I'm too quick for him to hit me." I think we had to call the ambulance and he was hospitalized but strangely I can't recall the ending to that story, perhaps because it was just a minor trauma and practically nothing for me to see my father either unconscious on the floor, or screaming in a state of psychosis, threating people that aren't there and strangers as they walked by the car when we were parked in front of the emergency room.

My father just went through so much hell I in no way blame him. His upbringing was abusive, and neglectful and alcohol was his solution. The added stress of 30 years of drinking beer combined with his childhood trauma just was too much for his mind to handle. He really tried at points to turn to god for guidance and he truly did his best to abstain, but it was addiction and I'm so sorry Jonathan that I was too young to get you the help you needed.