Fruit Loops

Fruit Loops

I'm not 100% sure why this memory is so vivid in my mind, perhaps because it involved pain and tears, but this is what happened. One day when I was four years old I went into the kitchen and asked my mother to make me a bowl of fruit loops, the cereal. She said "ok", but didn't immediately make it so I went back to my room. Instead of my mother telling me that the cereal was ready, or bringing it to me in my room, she sat it out on the counter. Being four years old and inheriting a genetic hatred of food, I forgot about my request, so the cereal was left on the counter for probably twenty minutes. It wasn't because of hunger or remembering I had asked for it, I just went into the kitchen to where my mom walked in shortly after. On the counter was a bowl of Fruit Loops that was completely soggy and each circle was bloated out from the time it sat there absorbing the milk. Once me and my mother were in the kitchen together we both saw the bowl of cereal that was left out and she began yelling at me for letting it sit out and demanded that I eat every bite and drink the leftover milk. So I grabbed the bowl of cereal and went to my room and cried while I had to eat something my mind rejected. My mother forced me might be why it sticks out in my head, and perhaps it was due to limited finances that she got so angry at the forgetfulness of a four year old.