Grand

Grand

My grandparents had lived at Grand in Bennington Arkansas the majority of their adult life. It was a three bedroom 1.5 bath with an acre and a half backyard. As kids my mom would drive us to stay the summer with my grandparents so it was kind of like a second home.

One of the biggest conflicts that started the lawsuit was my brother wanted the house for free after my grandmother was moved to a nursing home. My sister wouldn't allow it and proposed to him to pay half the listed rent in a rent to own situation, not getting $170,000 for free. He was talking about moving into our grandmother's home and making profit by renting out his home. In every regard he could have just sold his home to get some money out which would have paid his rent at Grand for 4 years and he could have moved in immediately. My sister was just doing her job to secure my grandmother's assets like she was entitled and told by Jane to do.

There was another condition that my sister didn't agree to in that my brother and his wife wanted Cynthia's mom to live with them. She had recently divorced but not by the other's fault and is addicted to alcohol and painkillers. Bryce made this offer because he fits right in with her and connects more with her through drug use than his completely sober wife. I'm not sure why in her adulthood Cynthia didn't put boundaries on drugs her mom and Bryce would use, she had just been forced into accepting it I suppose.

Anyways, before the fate of Grand was solidified and agreed to by all beneficiaries my brother told his kids that they were going to live there. He went so far as to bring over items like a pool and a gravestone for their dog that they put in the front yard. Basically to protect my grandmother's assets as trustee and POA my sister refused to allow him and his family to move in for free. Bryce would refuse to accept that determination and wouldn't offer to pay the significantly lowered rent on the property, it just became a mess that 3 years later is still not solved.

In 2023 arbitration it was on the agenda to determine how Grand would be sold and at what price since my brother gave up on getting it for free and wouldn't put a dime towards it. I gave tours of the home to various people and within a week we had a cash offer of $160,000 which my sister and I agreed to. At arbitration when Grand was brought up my sister and I explained the situation selling "as is" and that we were offered the $160,000 in full in cash. My brother had in the last month became a realtor, honestly I believe to get the $7,000 commission on the sale of Grand even though the house sells itself. He claimed it was worth over $200,000 and refused to agree. About a month later we sold the house through a unbiased realtor and got less than the $160,000. My brother's delusion cost us thousands of dollars.