Family Dinner (4th)

After all the formalities, dinner finally commenced as servants were summoned and food was served while both Wei Rou Xiang and Ning Yan Mei took their seats at the table with Wei Rou Xiang sitting beside her husband; Fan Hui Liang and Ning Yan Mei sitting across Fan Li Jie since she was led by Wei Rou Xiang to sit beside her.

The Fan family dinner was a quiet affair. Due to the unexpected arrival of Ning Yan Mei and to Fan Zhu Xia's absence, almost all of the men remained silent and only Wei Rou Xiang talked to keep Ning Yan Mei from feeling aggrieved due to Fan Li Jie's continued ignorance of her presence.

Seeing his mother's miserable eyes as she looked at the pouting princess who kept shooting glances at his indifferent brother, Fan Xian Liang sighed and finally took pity on his mother and spoke, receiving a look filled with relief and gratitude from her.

"Mother, I've heard from the crown prince that you've been spending a lot of time at the palace with the empress helping her with organizing some event?"

"Oh yes, the empress had asked for my assistance in preparing for her nephew's arrival."

Hearing her reply, Ning Yan Mei stiffened for a fraction before relaxing. It was a good thing that no one was paying attention to her and all were instead staring at Wei Rou Xiang in surprise.

"Nephew? The crown prince never mentioned any cousin..." Fan Xian Liang asked before trailing off, looking a tad bit confused.

Grinning at her son's puzzled expression, Wei Rou Xiang started explaining to everyone.

Meanwhile at the Imperial Palace, in a private dining hall that is lavishly decorated with lush amber rugs on the pale white and gold marbled floors that went along with the white jade wall interiors that had gold trimmings and various paintings hung up on them that is complemented by the jade and silk furnishings in the room which is where the royal family was also currently having their dinner and contrary to the awkward atmosphere back at the Fan family, they were all conversing happily as they ate.

Even the usually calm and stoic emperor; Jin Fa Chung was laughing boisterously when he heard his son's; Jin Meng Yao complaining that his childhood friend; Fan Xian Liang, despite being younger than him by two years, acted like he was older and kept stopping him from having fun, making him sound like he was a child who got told off.

To see his son loosen up while he was away brought Jin Fa Chung relief. He knew that Jin Meng Yao always worried about the little things despite the cheerful air he exudes but sending him off to study cultivation at Zenith Crescendo Academy with his sworn brother; Fan Hui Zhong's nephew; Fan Xian Liang seemed to do him good.

Grinning, Jin Fa Chung asked good-naturedly, "What were you trying to do then to make Xian'er stop you?"

"It doesn't really matter what I was trying to do, it was just a small thing..." Jin Meng Yao dismissively replied as he averted his gaze and hastily drunk a cup of wine which made both Jin Fa Chung and his wife and empress; Wu Li Hua look at each other in bemusement.

Seeing that his parents weren't going to pursue the topic, Meng Yao coughes then turned to his side and gave his sister; Jin Mei Rong a gentle smile as he asked, "Little Mei'er how have you been while I was away? Did father steal any of your sweets again?"

Hearing his question, Jin Mei Rong tried to suppress her giggles and held a hand to her mouth but her twinkling eyes were filled with amusement as both of them glanced at their father who had an indignant expression.