Chapter thirteen

I didn't tell doctor Light what I felt until my voice got better and it finally did. I practiced my voice until it got better and it did. I told Dr.Light on how I felt about my parents and how they didn't know that I was allergic to strawberries or that they never gave me a flu shot after I told them that I overheard the doctors saying that. He listened intently and with patience, he never once interrupted me. After I was done, I bit my lip and looked down. After awhile, he finally spoke.

"I don't think you should be angry with your parents," he said. I was about to protest when he held up his hand. "You could have been allergic when the doctors gave you a flu shot when you were baby, some people are allergic to it".

I thought about it for a moment and he was right, people are allergic to a lot of different medicines so it would be hard for them to get a shot. I glanced at him and he smiled softly, I sighed and fully
looked at him.

"So what about the strawberries? They didn't know I was allergic to strawberries, they did give me white strawberries before so how come it didn't affect me?" I asked and he replied instantly. Must be a doctor thing.

"It may be possible for an individual with a strawberry allergy to consume white strawberries without negative side effects or allergic reactions which is why it doesn't effect you, when you eat it," He replied. I looked at him flabbergasted and he smiled. Well, he was a doctor, guess that's why he's incredibly smart. I looked around the room and sighed, I asked one more question.

"How did you know I was allergic to strawberries?" I asked. The question caught him by surprise and he looked stumped. His eyebrows crinkled together as if he didn't know how to answer my question. He rubbed his forehead and sighed.

"I. . . I have no idea actually, can you believe that?" He chuckled. I gave him a confused look and spoke.

"What do you mean you don't know? Wasn't it on my chart?" I asked frantically. How could he not know how he found out that I was allergic to strawberries? It was strange. Not normal.

"No it wasn't on your chart, I can't explain it. I just knew you were allergic, maybe it's some sort of doctor thing," He says as he got up from his chair. Some sort of doctor thing!? That didn't make any sense and I wanted to know how he knew I was allergic but it looked like he wasn't going to answer me. I huffed and he rolled his eyes.

"Don't give me that, I just don't know, okay! Anyway, do you wanna help me decorate the Christmas tree?" He jerked his head to the Christmas tree that was in front of us. He walked out of room and came back moments later with ornaments.

"Uh I don't think so," I say eyeing the tree. He placed the box down and turned to me.

"Oh come on. Please! I can't allow my patient to be upset! It's not my style! Please," He pouted and I closed my eyes. Not the pouty face! Rachael did it to me all the time! I can never resist it! "Please Em, for me"

I groaned and took off the covers. He cheered and handed me an ornament. I placed the gold ornament on the tree.

"I love Christmas, best time of the year," He says softly. I glanced at him and noticed how he had a small smile on his face. But it also looked sad. I changed the subject immediately.

"So uh do you like your job?" I asked while picking up a different ornament. I looked at him and his face immediately brightened. He spoke with ease.

"Sometimes, it's a tough job. I have saved people but I also lost some of them. The real rough stuff is when you have to tell the loved ones that you tried your best to save the person they love but it was no use," He said as he placed the ornament on the tree with a daze. "That they tried and tried but the loved one slipped away and I couldn't save them, I lost them. That's the damn worst part, not being able to save someone when they needed you the most"

I stared at him in shock and searched his face. He had tears in his eyes and I touched his shoulder gently.

"Are you okay?" I asked gently. He looked at me and smiled.

"I'm good, it's tough you know? When something tragic happens and you don't know what to do," He says smiling as he stared at the tree fondly.

"Yeah that's true," I say as I took a step back to admire the tree. It was a nice tree that we decorated nicely. It was kinda small though. "It's kinda small though"

He rolled his eyes and placed his hands on his hips and it was kinda funny with his doctor coat on.

"Well I can't really have a giant Christmas tree so I got a little one," He grinned at the tree. "It's like a...little mouse tree"

I whipped my head at him while he was staring at the tree with a giant grin on his face.

"What did you say?" I asked breathlessly. He glanced at me and raised an eyebrow.

"Hm? I said little mouse," He answered as he walked away from the tree to grab my chart. "Why do you ask?"

"U-Um no reason," I mumbled as I walked back to my hospital bed. I got on top of my bed and placed the cover on my legs.

"Well, you will be free to go home soon so that's good," He says as he ruffles my hair. "Merry Christmas"

"It's not Christmas yet," I laughed lightly. He shrugged and smiled.

"But it's almost Christmas so it's good enough," He grinned. He opened the curtain and turned towards me. "As much as I enjoy your company, try to stay away from the hospital. See you later!"

I nodded and he walked away. I couldn't help but replaying what he said. Little Mouse

Why did it sound so familiar?