Chapter Forty One

"What!? How the hell are going to escape from here! There's no way out!" Brooke exclaimed. It was true, North Carolina was practically impossible to escape from. Nate looked at Brooke, and took out a piece of paper from his back pocket. 

"Yes, there is. I used to stay up late at night, worrying if my sister was ever to get caught and they wanted to kill her. I would obsessively try and figure out a way to escape, and there's a secret tunnel that leads out of here," Nate explained as he placed the map onto the table. I looked at my brother with concern. He used to do this obsessively? He drove himself pratically crazy because of me and that almost brought me to tears, I held onto Jasper and he stroked my hair soothingly. Nate glanced at me but then looked back at the map. 

"We can go tomorrow night, and head on 15th Avenue straight that will lead us to the tunnel and from there on, Anastasia will run on from there," Nate said as he looked at everyone. I gave my brother a confused look at what he just said. 

"Wait, what do you mean I'll run on from there? Nate, you're coming with me, right?" I asked gently. Nate had a sad look in his eyes that I knew all to well. I shook my head at him with tears in my eyes. "No! No! You're coming with me! You have to come with me!"

"Ana, I can't. It's best if I stay back, so that they can only catch one Light sibling, Jasper will protect you. I'm counting on you to protect my sister, do you hear me? I have never in my entire life have counted on anyone but myself to protect my sister, do not me down," Nate said as he looked at Jasper with a serious face. Jasper nodded his head, determined to not let him down. 

"But Nate-" I tried to say but Nate held up his hand to silence me. 

"No Ana, I'm not coming with you and that's final, I need you and only you to be safe, are we clear?" he asked me. I hesitated but then I slowly nodded my head and avoided his eyes. Nate sighed as he kissed my forehead and then turned his back at him to look at the map. "Okay, let's get started" 

Everybody nodded as Nate explained the plan, and as I tried to pay attention, I kept thinking about the fact that I will never see my brother again. Why does the government want to tear us apart?! It doesn't make any sense! I looked the same as anybody else! Just because I was a second child doesn't mean I was different than anybody else! I didn't want to leave my brother but I had no choice. I will fight to prove that I was worth being born, and no one is going to stop me no matter what.