Chapter twenty four

I had actually taken my own advice and avoided Jasper. I avoided him for a month and a half. It killed me to do this but I also avoided Rachael and my other friends. After I got my memories back, I also got my old personality back. I was back to being the shy, awkward Anastasia again and I didn't know how to act around anyone anymore. I was confided to my old house for seventeen years and for me to suddenly have this fake life with a fake family and friends, it overwhelmed me. I was holding Mickey along the way back to my "house" so I could stop my hands from shaking. I had to pretend I was Emery Cain, daughter of Tori and Damien Cain. But I wasn't.

I was the daughter of Elizabeth and Antony Light, they were my real parents even though they died before I actually got to meet them, before they could teach me anything about life. That was passed down to my brother. He taught everything me about the world and how it works. He told me that people out there would always put you down and that they consider themselves superior than you but they're not. They're the bullies that believe they can do whatever the hell they want with you but that you have to tell them that is enough is enough and that you have to fight harder to make them understand that you don't want to be pushed around anymore. Nate taught me that. He taught me everything that I needed to know if I ever went outside one day. And he was right, I wanted to push the bullies back. I wanted to push the government back and tell them that I'm tired of being treated as a lesser person because I am a second born child.

It is unfair and cruel for a human being to be treated this way. I shook my head as I stroked Mickey's head in my room. I had to go back to my "parents" and apologize for the way I acted. They forgave me and hugged me. I stiffened when they did that, knowing that they weren't my real parents. I had to pretend that everything was fine and dandy but it wasn't because they weren't my real family. I sighed as I laid down on my bed with Mickey on my stomach. I stroked his head and he whined.

"What am I going to do, Mic? Now I know who I am and I'm being awkward around them. I'm not Emery Cain, I'm Anastasia Grace Light," I say as I patted Mickey's head. I suddenly felt something burning on my right wrist. I immediately sat up which caused Mickey to hop off me and land on the floor. I started to scratch my wrist vigorously, I lifted my sleeve and gasped. Right where it said Emery Cain and my barcode numbers were started to disappear. It was burning my skin like acid as it was disappearing slowly. I watched as Emery Cain disappeared from my wrist and I was back to being Anastasia Light. The illegal one.

The forgotten one. I rubbed my wrist where the mark was as if I did that then it would come back. This is bad. This is really bad. I grabbed my cell phone that was charging on my night table and dialed Nate's number. I pressed the phone against my ear and waited impatiently for Nate to and answer. He answered after the second ring.

"Ana? What's wrong?" he asked me. I pressed a hand against my forehead and rubbed it. How do I tell him that my mark is gone? That is was going to harder than I thought it would be. So that meant if someone remembered something from their past, their mark on their wrist would be gone. "Ana? Are you there?"

"H-Hi! Yes I'm here! A-And the reason why I'm calling you is because my mark is gone," I said as I looked at my wrist that once said Emery Cain. There was a shuffle on the other end and I heard him grunt. It was silent on the other end until I finally heard him talk.

"What mark?" he asked. He said it so quietly that I had to press my ear to the phone closer. Well as close as it can get.

"The mark that the government gave me to give me my fake name, Emery Cain," I said as I glanced around my room. I heard him inhale and he mumbled something I couldn't comprehend.

"When did this happen?!" he demanded and I jumped back from his tone of voice. He sounded serious but also scared. He was scared for me like I knew he would but I would have to tell him that I've covered my wrist before. But then I remembered how that backfired when the police caught me.

"It just happened a few seconds ago, it was burning my wrist and when I looked at it. It was gone," I said as I looked down at Mickey. He was pacing around my room, chewing on my sock. But I didn't have time to reprimand him for that. I was more focused on my wrist and how it would effect me.

"It's probably happening because you remembered me," He said and I nodded my head. Then I realized he couldn't see my head so I spoke.

"That's what I thought too," I say as I finally grabbed the sock Mickey was chewing on. He growled at me but I just glared at him and he whined. I rolled my eyes at him as he scurried off to the corner of my room. "What do I do?"

"Cover your wrist at all costs, okay? We'll just try to figure something out," He said reassuringly. I tugged my hair in frustration. I couldn't believe that this was happening to me. I have to make sure that no one know I'm illegal again so I wouldn't have to die instead of having my memory erased again. Including my brother. I'm definitely not dragging Jasper into this, I don't want him killed because of me. "It's gonna be okay, alright?"

"I hope so," I whispered. Suddenly I heard footsteps coming into my room. "I love you, Nate!"

Before he could say anything, I hung up on him and waited to see who was behind the door.

The Forgotten Oneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें