Chapter nineteen

My parents finally showed up to the hospital, my mom hugged me fiercely and stroked my hair. My dad stood at the foot of my hospital bed, his hands clenched and he looked ready to pummel someone. I couldn't hug my mother back because of the fake picture that kept resurfacing in my mind. Are they actually my real parents? Maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions, I'm sure there are pictures in my house that will reveal that my parents are my actual parents. My mom finally let go when she realized I wasn't hugging her back. She caressed my cheek and tears brimmed her eyes.

"Oh my precious girl, I'm sorry this happened to you," She whispered as she searched my face for any emotion. I just glanced down at my hands and clenched them.

"It's okay, he didn't go further, I hit him with a rock before he could do anything," I say softly as I glanced at my mother. She just kept hugging me and didn't reply. My father spoke for her.

"You know, we're going to have to press charges against him," he said and I nodded. Of course we have to press charges, what he did was unforgivable. He deserves to go to jail for what he almost did to me or some sort of punishment.

"I know Dad, but can we please not talk about it right now, I'm tired," I say as my mother finally let go of me. She wiped her eyes and nodded her head. She got up from the bed and stood beside my dad, I smiled at them and spoke. "I'll be fine, I have Dr.Light."

They finally nodded and said goodbye to me. A few minutes later, Dr.Light came in with a bright smile when he looked at me. He grabbed the clipboard that was on the small table in front of my bed and flipped through it.

"I have good news! You have no internal bleeding and you will be able to take off the stitches since you've been here for so long," He said as he looked at my forehead filled with stitches. My parents were away when they found out what happened to me, it was some school business that they had to do which I completely forgot about so I was in the hospital without any contact besides Jasper for a few days but they rushed in today as soon as they found out. The doctors monitored me though which was good, Dr.Light grabbed his gloves and slowly pulled out the stitches. He spoke when he was peeling them off.

"Penny for your thoughts?" he asked as he glanced at me. I looked at his eyes when he said that and his eyes were concentrated as he peeled off the stitches. I felt myself shaking my head but he grabbed my chin and held me firm. "Hold still"

"Sorry," I murmured as I glanced down at my eyes. The hospital tag was covering my mark that I had on my right wrist. I rubbed my wrist softly and spoke. "Do you ever feel like there was something wrong with you?"

"What do you mean?" he asked as he finally took all the stitches off and put ointment on my scar. He spread the ointment softly as if I were child, as if he were a parent. He gave me a soft smile to continue as he wiped his hands from the ointment.

"I mean like as if you were always having bad day and that there was no such thing as a good day. Like the life you were living is a lie and you would hope to one day wake up and have a good day," I said running a hand through my blonde hair. I looked up at him and realized he was sitting right in front of me. His hazel eyes were searching my face as if to figure out something. He blinked and held my chin softly.

"Emery, where is this coming from?" he asked as he looked into my eyes. Tears brimmed my eyes and he brushed them away. He held my face and nodded his head for me to trust him. I exhaled and looked at the ceiling briefly before looking back at him. I grabbed his hand and held it close to my chest.

"Can I tell you a secret," I whispered as I looked around. Fearful for someone to hear me and he leaned in and nodded his head at me. His eyes told me that I can trust him and confide in him. "I-I don't think my parents are my actual parents"

Silence filled the room as he took in what I just said. I was breathing rapidly as I waited for him to say something. Anything instead of waiting in silence. He brushed his hair back and stood up.

"Emery, I think you need to see a psychiatrist, I'm going to page for one," He said but I shot my hand out and grabbed his wrist. He looked at me warily as if I was crazy. I pulled his arm towards me and held it close to my chest.

"No! Please you have to listen to me! I'm not crazy! When I was going to grab my phone before going out with James, my dog broke a frame and was chewing on a picture. After I grabbed it from him, I realized the picture was fake," I said breathing hard as I looked at him. He looked at me with caution as if I was going to hurt him which was understandable because of how I was acting. I manage to get him to sit back down again but I made sure to glance at his pager a few times. It was on the left side of his pocket which I could easily grab if he decides to page the psychiatrist. "I take a photography class and the first thing my teacher taught was how to spot a fake photo and it was fake! I have a birthmark on my right wrist!"

I showed him my wrist and the small birthmark that I had. He looked at it and then looked back at me. I nodded my head at him. My jeans that I wore on my date with James was laying on a small table beside me, I grabbed it and took out the baby picture that I kept in the pocket. I unfolded and smoothed it out and then I showed it to him.

"See! There's no birthmark!" I said as he looked at the photo. He grabbed it from my hands and stared at it, then he stared back at me and then back at the picture. He grabbed my wrist and examined it and then examined the wrist on the photo. He finally spoke after while.

"Maybe when your parents took the photo, they didn't like the birthmark and asked someone to remove the birthmark out of the photo," he suggested as he looked at me and sat down at the edge of the bed. I gaped at him and couldn't believe what he just said. My parents removing my birthmark because they didn't like it? What kind of parents are they then? Not liking something of mine because it's my flaw. I clenched my fists on the sheets and glared at him.

"What kind of parents would take out a birthmark because they don't like it? Parents are suppose to love you even with your flaws, that's what parents are suppose to do! I yelled out as I glared at him. He stood up and crossed his arms and started pacing. He threw his hands and gave me an exasperated look.

"Well damn, Emery, I wouldn't know because my parents are dead! So I don't know if my parents would have loved my flaws or not! Just because they don't love something you have doesn't make them bad parents! Parents are not perfect but as long as they love you then that's all that matters! It's just a birthmark! At least your parents are alive!" he yelled out. His face was red from the yelling and his eyes were red because he was about to cry. We just stared at each other in silence, me not knowing what to say and him saying to much. I opened my mouth to speak but then closed it. I threw the covers off and placed my feet on the floor. He looked at me hesitatingly, wondering what I was going to do. I walked to where over he stood and hugged him. He stiffened from the unexpected hug I gave him but then he relaxed and hugged me back.

"I'm sorry," I whispered as I shut my eyes. He stroked my hair and shushed me as tears streamed down my face and I sobbed. We stayed silent like that for a few moments, enjoying each other's company and embracing each other as if we did this everyday to each other. Just being with one another and comforting each other as if we were together all our lives. Maybe it was because he was like that, so comforting and sweet that I could tell him anything without any worries. I couldn't be like that with my parents at all and I didn't understand why. Dr.Light was my doctor and not my relative. So why could I talk to him about personal things instead of my parents?

Maybe because of the fact that I didn't know him as well that I feel like I could tell him anything without him having to judge me. Because I don't have to see him everyday that I could just say anything without having to see him everyday. That I could say anything and he could help me as if he knew exactly what to do. And I needed that. I needed him.