Chapter 3 - (1.5K Words)

You quietly yawned, still blinking the sleep from your eyes. The plane was going to land in less than half an hour, so the attendants were running up and down the cabin, making sure that most of the passengers were awake. Soon after, they had passed out the breakfast meal, and the most heaven-sent of all drinks, coffee.

You were surprised that you had slept at all, after what you saw happen. But only seconds after you had pressed the play button, your eyes were shut tight.

Deep down, you wished that you had gone to the back of the plane to check if the man sitting next to you was okay. But you were afraid. You didn't want to get tangled up in the mess he was in, either.

Sometime while you were asleep, your friend had crawled past you and back into his seat. You were surprised when you woke up to find him already awake, staring out the window. It was like he didn't go back to sleep at all. You were just glad that he was still alive.

You noticed that there were a couple of scars on his neck and face, and he had found the time to change shirts. You weren't sure where he got this one from, considering the only carry-on he had was a laptop bag. None of the scars stood out, and it looked like someone had tried their best to conceal them.

You brought the warm cup carefully up to your mouth, hoping that you wouldn't spill it. You were still eating your breakfast, which was surprisingly good for airline food. It was even better than the dinner you had last night. But still, there was a lump in your throat after every bite.

Maybe I should do something...

The man next to you was still staring out the window. He hadn't even touched his breakfast yet, and it was starting to get cold. If he didn't drink it now, his coffee would become cold and unappetizing. And bedsides, it would make you feel better if you ate something.

As you put the cup back down, and picked up the fork that sat right next to it. You carefully ate the breakfast sandwich, trying to keep all of the grease from dripping down onto your tank top or sweatpants. You didn't need to look like even more of a slob than you already were.

Like your parents suggested, you dressed comfortably for the flight. So when you had walked into the airport wearing a black beanie, a dark grey sweatshirt, a white tank top, and black sweatpants. Over the course of the flight, the cabin became warm, so you took the sweatshirt off and hid it in your purple backpack. But the rest of you was still in tact.

Soon enough, you were finished with your breakfast. The attendants were already making their rounds to collect the trash, and refill those who wanted more coffee. You gladly accepted both services.

You looked at the man sitting next to you again. He hadn't said a word to you all morning, and he still hadn't touched his breakfast. Even though you had known him for less than twelve hours, but you felt as if you were partially resbonsible for what happened to him. You didn't bother to give him any help in his time of need.

I might as well try something, you thought.

"Hey, are you okay?" You said after clearing your throat. The man next to you didn't react at all, so you decided to try again. "You haven't had any of your breakfast? Is something wrong?" You asked him kindly.

Despite your numerous attempts, the man continued to ignore you. You thought you were close to getting him to talk to you, but you were wrong. After a while, you decided to give up. If he didn't want to talk about it, then he didn't want to talk about it. But deep down, that really bothered you

I'm sorry that I didn't help you before.

*  *  *  *

You stepped out of the long hallway that connected the plane to the rest of the airport. You watched as people in front of you were met by family members or coworkers. Of course, there was no one that was waiting there for you.

I knew this was how it was going to happen. But why does this bother me so much?

You shook yourself from your thoughts, and made your way through the crowd of people. You hadn't seen the mysterious man or the man that sat next to you on the plane since you exited just before him. You hoped that he was better now, and that he wasn't as shaken up as he was this morning. Maybe there was a chance you could see him again at the baggage claim.

You made your way down the long hallway, along with other unfamiliar people who had just come from your flight. You looked at the faces that surrounded you in the hallway, and you were unsatisfied when you didn't see his among them. Where was he at? How did he manage to get so far behind you?

Once you were at the baggage claim, you pictured a large purple suitcase in your mind. Most of the suitcases were a dull black or navy blue, so it wasn't too hard to find yours. After all, it matched your backpack.

You looked around, trying to see if you could find the man you sat next to on the plane. Unluckily, there wasn't any sign of him. You don't know why, but this made you upset. You know that he had made it off the plane, he had been right behind you the whole time.

So where is he? You wondered, looking around the room to see if you had missed him by chance.

After you scanned the room one last time, you decided that looking for him was useless. He was somewhere, but it obviously wasn't here. And you weren't about to bend over backwards looking for a stranger that you didn't even know.

Well, you knew him through his stories, but that didn't matter. You didn't know his name, where was from, or what kind of work he did. You knew basically nothing, despite all of the talking he did last night.

You turned around to head towards customs, and you stopped dead in your tracks. Just across the room from you was the mysterious man from the back of the plane. You remembered how he loomed over the man you sat next to.

He was standing in a corner, withdrawn from the rest of the crowd from the plane. He didn't have a suitcase with him, and he didn't appear to be looking for one. His powerful shoulders rested against the wall as he scanned the crowd. He could see everyone in the entire room from where he was standing. A knot formed in your stomach when you noticed he wasn't alone.

Just a few feet away from him stood another man, who was just as intimidating, if not more. He stuck out way more, not because of his height or of his muscle, but because his hair was a mint green. They were both clothed in all black, and they had on long trench coats. If you had learned anything in your seventeen years of life, people who dressed like that meant danger.

You gathered yourself and looked forward, pretending not to notice them. You didn't know exactly why you were trying to avoid their notice. They had no reason to suspect you of anything, but you didn't know who they were looking for. As far as you knew, you were their next catch.

You had to pass right beside them to get through to customs. You took a deep breath and calmly walked forward, closing the distance between you. The least you could do was try to look as unsuspecting as possible. Maybe they wouldn't recognize you.

As you got closer, you got more and more nervous. They were still intensely scanning the crowd, and you didn't want to stick around to find out who they were looking for. You wanted out of this airport as soon as you could get through customs.

It's just a little bit farther.....

Just as you were passing through the gate, you saw them both shift down the wall. You tensed up, preparing to run in case they came your way. They stood up, and looked around the room one final time. To your surprise, they strolled to the far end of the room.

You let out a sigh of relief and relaxed slightly, but you kept walking. They were dangerous people, and if they were here, then something dangerous was going on. You didn't want to be here when that all went down.

Whatever they're up to, it's not good. I have to get out of here.