Chapter 16 - (1.8K Words)

"Are you going to be okay?"

You could feel the tears as they slowly dripped down your cheek. You bit your lip, and kept yourself from responding. You didn't want to answer, and then completely lose yourself in a wave of tears.

Yugyeom sighed, and looked back at the road in front of him. He kept his hands calmly on the steering wheel, and waited for you to say something. So far, this had been the quietest car ride of your life.

You carried the bag of guns while Yugyeom dragged Mark along. To avoid any suspicion from the public eye, you went through as many alleys as possible. Luckily, nobody was waiting for you in them, and no one had decided to follow you. There weren't very many people on the streets, either. It was like the part of town you were in was deserted--it was so empty.

Once you had gotten to the edge of Daegu, there had been a black SUV waiting for you. It didn't matter who left it, or how it got there, you needed to get Mark and get out of there.

Mark was in the backseat of the car, still unconscious. There was a gigantic purple bruise on his cheek, and his eyebrow was dried with blood. He looked like he had been to hell and back. It had taken both you and Yugyeom to get him into the backseat. Gravity fought back as you tried to lift him into the car.

You peeked in the rear view mirror, and looked at the limp body. The bag of guns was resting on the floor beneath him, and you had laid his jacket over his shoulders. He looked like he had been beaten to death. You felt bad, knowing he had done this to himself just to protect you.

"You were really brave back there, you know," Yugyeom said, clearing his throat. "I don't think that I could have done it any better."

A moment of silence passed between you. You moved your eyes to look down at your hands, which were gently resting in your lap.

"Thanks, I guess."

"I'm sorry I couldn't get there sooner," Yugyeom said, taking one hand off the wheel and running it through his hair. "I was just across the street when I first saw what was going on. I ran over as quickly as I could, but then he already had you up against--"

"Yugyeom, it's okay," you said, wiping the tears away from your eyes. "You did what you could, and you saved me too. I can't thank you enough."

"That kind of thing can mess a person up. I just wanted to make sure that you were feeling okay," he said, tapping the steering wheel. "Sometimes how you feel on the inside is more important on the outside."

"Thank you Yugyeom, I'm fine," you said, turning to smile at him.

"I'm glad you're okay," he said, a quaint smile playing at his lips. "I'm just glad that nobody got too severely hurt. Mark should be fine by tomorrow morning."

"That's good."

The car was silent again. You turned your head to look out the window. You had left Daegu about five minutes ago. You gazed up towards the sky, and you could see dark puffy storm clouds starting to form.

You looked out the front windshield, and you could see a long line of clouds just off the horizon. It was going to rain, and rain hard. You were glad that it hadn't been raining while you were walking. Firstly, because you didn't want to be cold, and secondly, you were wearing a white shirt.

"Shit, we're gonna be late!"

You looked down at the clock, and you put a hand over your mouth. It was two minutes before three, and you were nowhere near where you needed to be. You heard Yugyeom mutter out a few more curses, and then you felt the car accelerate.