Chapter 44 - (2.5K Words)

You peeked through the cracked doorway and carefully scanned the hallway. You slowly blinked your eyes until they adjusted to the darkness around you. You checked to make sure that the hall was empty and then stepped out from behind the door. You soundlessly closed it behind you and scanned the hallway one more time just to be safe.

You had woken up only a couple of seconds ago, and purely by accident. You had kicked your food tray off the edge of the bed, and it clattered so loud that it woke you up. Luckily, you were the only one that was woken up by the loud clattering noise. It was now completely dark outside, and it seemed like everyone in the house was asleep.

I hope that's true.

You groped around the stairs for the railing until your hand hit against it. You grabbed onto the railing and slid carefully down the stairs, not daring to make a sound. One of the steps creaked beneath your feet, and you froze in place. You waited for a second before continuing down the stairs.

You stepped into the front room and scanned to make sure that you were alone. Even though it was late, you weren't exactly sure how late it was. There was still a chance that at least one of the boys was awake. You soundlessly walked towards the lounge once you were sure that you were alone.

You passed the opening to the kitchen and paused. You peeked inside at the stove clock, which read 12:43 in bright green letters. You rubbed your eyes underneath your glasses and sighed. You thought it was too early for this, but you were already about forty minutes late for your meeting with Jiyong.

You stepped back out into the hallway and walked towards the lounge. Without watching where you were going, you ran into one of the tables lining the walls. Your hands flew to your hip where it had connected with the table. You gasped in pain and leaned up against the wall.

Cre-e-e-ak!!

You whipped your head back to look over your shoulder, and you saw the infirmary door opening, and quickly. Without any hesitation, you pushed yourself off the wall and hid behind the table. You held your breath as a figure emerged from behind the infirmary door.

Is that Jungkook? Did he hear me?!

Jungkook stepped out of the infirmary and closed the door behind him. You watched as he slowly walked to the stairs from the infirmary. He walked up the stairs, all the while keeping his focus on something in his hands. Not once did he look over in your direction. As soon as he was gone, you backed away from the stairs while keeping yourself pushed up against the wall. You didn't take your eyes off of the stairs until you were well into the lounge.

You walked towards the bathroom and opened up the door. You turned on the lights and locked yourself inside to give yourself a moment to rest. You ran your hand through your hair and slid down the wall, the tears starting to form in your eyes.

I can't believe I almost got caught. I need to be even more careful.

You picked yourself up and stared up at the chandelier. You could see the keys dangling from one of the ornate hooks. You jumped and batted at the keys, trying to shake them from their spot. After a few minutes of trying, you finally managed to knock the lanyard off of its hook.

You grabbed the keys from the floor and left the bathroom, making absolute sure to turn the lights off. You quickly fumbled through the keys and unlocked the garage. You held onto the banister and closed the door behind you, leaving you in complete darkness. You didn't want to be making any more mistakes.

You carefully headed down the stairs, keeping your hand safely on the banister. You heard the stairs creak beneath you as you kept moving closer to the bottom of the garage. Your foot hit the cold concrete of the garage, and you groped around blindly for the light switch.