Chapter 40 - (2.5K Words)

You kept your ear glued to your door, wondering if the boys were finally asleep. Ever since Hoseok and Jin had brought you to your room, it was like the entire house was silent. They made you promise to stay in your room until somebody came to get you. Of course, you had sworn not to leave your room, mainly because you didn't want to get in any trouble. But at this point, it didn't look like anyone was coming to get you.

About two hours ago, you found a dinner tray resting just outside your door. Nobody was in the hallway, and the food was still warm, so you pulled it into your room and ate. It didn't take you long to finish your food at all. So now you were sitting awake in your room, waiting to make sure that everyone else was asleep.

You quickly found that there was a big problem with staying up so late. Everybody else had to think that you were asleep too. All of the lights in your room were off except for a single, dimly lit lamp. The light from the hallway seeped in from the gap beneath the door.

You rubbed your eyes underneath your glasses and yawned. You put your hand back on the door to steady yourself. You took a deep breath and slowly blinked your eyes. It was getting hard for you to keep yourself awake.

You glanced over your shoulder at the window. The land outside of the light brown curtains and white frames was completely dark. The sun had set ages ago. At this point, you were either ensuring your safety or wasting time. The only problem was, you weren't entirely sure which one you were doing.

I can't just wait around any longer. I could be ruining my chances of getting to Jiyong.

You pushed yourself off the door and planted yourself firmly on your feet. You set your hand on top of the doorknob and listened carefully. The house was completely silent. You slowly pulled the door open and stepped out into the hallway. You searched the hallway for any sign of the boys. When you were sure you were safe, you closed the door and descended the stairs.

As you went down the stairs, you pressed yourself close to the railing. You searched the first floor for any sign of the boys. For now, it seemed like you were in the clear.

"She's on her way down right now."

You stopped in your tracks and held your breath. You could feel your heart pounding dangerously in your chest. You quickly pressed yourself up against the wall and whipped your head around, looking for the source of the voice. It didn't take you long to realize that the dining room light was on. From where you were, you could see three different shadows on the floor.

They know I'm down here.

"Are you certain she's going to be here?" Another voice asked.

You watched as the three boys in the kitchen shuffled around, and got closer to the door. You could feel your legs shaking as they all paused just in front of the doorway.

"We're both certain," the third voice chimed in. "A few minutes ago, I got a few reports that a group of black vans was speeding through Wonju. It seemed a little suspicious."

They're not talking about me? That means that they don't know I'm down here--I can still sneak past them.

You tiptoed down the remaining stairs, not daring to make a sound. Your eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness of the room, making it easier for you to dodge the chairs, couches, and tables. You edged yourself closer and closer to the lounge, but you paused every time you heard the boys start to shift again.

"Does she know where we want to meet her?" The second voice asked.

"At the old bridge about sixteen kilometers from here, the day after tomorrow just after sunset," the first voice replied. "I made sure that the letter specified when and where."