Chapter 50 - (3.3K Words)

"Auntie?"

You gazed up at the woman sitting behind the desk. Even though you hadn't seen your aunt in over a decade, you knew it was her. She looked the same, but her age was starting to show. She still looked as beautiful as you remembered. She gave you a warm smile, her eyes crinkling at the corners.

"It's been a long time, (Y/N)," she said, beckoning you forward. "Come closer so I can get a good look at you."

You stepped forward into the room, your feet heavier than lead bricks. You wiped the tears away from your eyes, not wanting to embarrass yourself in front of your aunt.

It's been ten years. I can't believe it's been ten years.

"Jimin tells me that your Korean has gotten much better since you got here," she said. "It seems like you're getting closer and closer to being fluent."

"I'm not that good," you said, immediately shaking your head. "It's just been a very stressful week."

"Nonsense," Jimin said, rolling his eyes at you. "Your speaking skill has improved a lot since you first got here."

"That outfit looks very nice on you too," she nodded approvingly. "You made a good selection, Mark."

"It was nothing," Mark said, instantly dismissing the compliment.

"You've grown up so beautifully," your aunt said, scanning your figure once you were close enough to her. "If you wanted to, you could become a makeup model for the company."

"You might even be able to put me out of a job," Chaerin agreed, earning a smile from you.

"You shouldn't say things like that," your aunt chided, waving her arm at Chaerin. "She can take Minzy's spot. She quit just a few months ago."

"I don't know that I'd like that," you chuckled, dismissing their compliments with a wave of your hand. "I'm fine as I am."

"You must have so many questions for us," your aunt sighed, sadly shaking her head. "I can't believe that it had to happen this way. Please, take a seat."

She motioned to a chair that was sitting just in front of the desk. You nodded your head and stepped forward. You sat down and looked up at her, waiting for the final explanation.

I'm ready for the truth.

"Ah, where should we start?" Jimin asked, running his hand through his hair. "There's so much we have to talk about."

"How about at the beginning--no--before I even got here," you suggested. "I want to know why I'm here."

"That's a good place to start," your aunt said, nodding her head in agreement.

"Before you were born, your father and I were very close," your aunt said, her voice turning solemn. "But, there was always a difference between us. He was more family-oriented than I was, but I always had better luck with money than he did."

What does this have to do with anything?

"I made some smart investments once I got out of college, and I earned a large sum of money because of them," she continued. "I helped your father to pay off some of his debts. Hell, I even helped him pay for his wedding. That's how much money I had laying around."

"He promised me that one day, he'd pay me back somehow, but I knew he would never be able to get enough money to do so," she chuckled, shaking her head at herself. "So, I told him that one day I would let him know what I wanted from him. It would have nothing to do with money, but that I would want something of significance."