Chapter 17

Sapphire stood in shock at Tristan's claim, how, no why, why would he do such a thing? She had glanced in his direction, but he didn't look at her, intensely staring ahead.

The words were out of Tristan's mouth before his brain could comprehend them. But for the life of him, he couldn't take them back. When Sasha had made her announcements, he was furious! She really is a conniving bitch, the she devil herself. Tristan could feel Sapphires gaze on him, but he didn't turn around. He'd show the witch her place, maybe today he'd actually live up to the names he'd been given. He wouldn't let Sapphire be ruined, after all, she was innocent, or at least that's the reason Tristan gave himself for his actions.

Sasha's lips curved into an ugly snarl, making her appear the bitch she was. Further back, Stark looked mad, as in madness, a lunatic, barbaric even. Audible gasps could be heard throughout the audience.

"If so, why doesn't anyone seem to know about your courtship." Sasha snapped.

"I like my affairs private, those who needed to know, or need to know, will or have already been informed. Pardon me, but I'd rather not have arrogant people, whom I know not, attend my wedding."

Sasha clenched her hands, and then had them unclenched. Pasting a bright, mocking smile on her face, she spoke.

"You'd marry a ruined girl? You really want a deceiving wife? An unfaithful wife?"

Tristan gave her a droll stare, keeping all his emotions hidden.

"If anyone is deceiving anyone, it'd be you." When Sasha went to speak, he held up his hand.

"I'm not finished!" Tristan snapped, "you had your turn at talking, no one interrupted, now kindly return the courtesy."

Sasha wisely remained shut, much to her displeasure. The men and women, young and old, were all filled with curiosity, how will Tristan manage to save his betroth?

"You took lady Dracmore upstairs, via the back wing, and don't deny it, Xavier and myself saw you." Tristan growled.

"What proof do you have?" Sasha managed to say, trying in vain to appear collected, although her anger managed the feat.

"Lord Xavier Manning and myself are witness to the fact, we saw you, with eyes that God gave." Tristan retorted.

"Further more, you are only one women, your witness to the fact that you 'caught' them in a comprising position, can't not be believed. You didn't even see there faces, for all you know, it could have been someone else."

"Could have but it wasn't!"

"I hardly see how it was lady Dracmore, when 1) you led her upstairs, not to mention, she has never been aquatinted with the likes of you." Tristan said while shooting a look of disgust Sasha's way.

"2) If you led her upstairs, then 'caught' her, most likely there's an ulterior motive. 3) You said you never saw their faces, which hardly helps your testimony.

Sasha was left speechless, she couldn't say what her and Stark had devised, yet she couldn't be shamed! Thinking she had the upper hand, Sasha spoke,

"When is the wedding, if there really is one."

"The wedding is shortly after Miss Isabella and lord Mannings, you are not invited, therefor the date shouldn't concern you. I've provided enough proof of Sapphires innocence while you stood there gaping like a fish. We will be leaving now."

Tristan turned, grabbed Sapphires had and pulled her with him. Walking half way through, he called over his shoulder with a sadistic smile,

"If anyone still has doubts, come to me and I will take care of it personally."

That being said, Tristan walked out with Sapphire without a backward glance. Lord Rivers glared at Sasha as well as Stark before making his exit with the remainder of the family.

"Rivers manor, and make it quick." Tristan grumbled.

He and Sapphire were in his carriage. Tristan went through the compartment and took out a piece of cloth, being in battle taught one to be always prepared. Gently he removed Sapphires hand.

"I need to see how deep the wound is." Tristan murmured.

"It's deep." Sapphire said softly, she felt faint. Before he could ask the question, Sapphire answered.

"Dagger, when I was trying to get away, he stabbed me with a dagger, it made a deeper wound then intended."

"I'll need to stitch it up." Tristan said while trying to access the wound through her dress. He looked up to see Sapphires face a deathly pale color, sweat coated her forehead. She had lost a quiet an amount of blood, they needed to reach the manor soon.

The carriage came to an abrupt stop, the driver had brought them in record time. Before the door could be opened, Tristan quickly got out and carried Sapphire out.

"This isn't necessary." Sapphire said weakly.

"Humor me." Tristan said while trying to jog without harming the women in his arms. Tristan banged on the door, grateful for Alfred's efficiency.

" I need some warm water, cloth, needle and thread. As well as some ale or whiskey." Tristan told Alfred while quickly taking Sapphire to her room.

"Stay awake." Tristan demanded.

"I'm trying."

Gently, he lay her on her bed before going towards her right side. The blood had spread from his last inspection. Taking out his dagger, Tristan ripped open Sapphires dress from her lower right rib to just below her hip.

"Tis not proper." Sapphire said while trying to sit up.

Tristan snorted," I believe we're past that, darling."

He began soaking up the blood, when majority of it was cleaned, Tristan evaluated the wound. The entire while Alfred stood beside Tristan, handing him fresh cloth and water. The dagger cut Sapphires flesh from mid waist down to her hip, it definitely needed stitches. Blood still flowed profusely.

"How bad is it."

"She'll survive, it needs stitching."

Tristan answered lord Rivers as he cleaned the cut with some whiskey, causing Sapphire to wince.

"Do you have any sleeping and possibly pain reduction herbs?"

"Yes, I'll go get them immediately." Lady Rivers said as she rushed off.

Tristan waited until lady Rivers had returned before starting the stitching. He'd stitch a handful of his men in battle, being that they had no females about, the men had to learn, it was a handy trick. Once Sapphire had drank the concoction, Tristan began working on the stitches. Sapphire was blissfully unaware of the pain. After making sure the stitches were in place, Tristan applied a a salve made of healing herbs, to prevent infections and the likes, before getting up.

"Someone needs to keep an eye on her throughout the night, in case she catches a fever."

"I'll stay beside her." Isabella quickly said, her face covered in dry tears. Everyone slowly left the room, leaving Isabella with a sleeping Sapphire. Lord Rivers gently kissed her forehead before covering her with a blanket and exiting the room.

"I must be on my way now." Tristan said when lord Rivers approached him.

"Shut up, Tristan. Stay the night." Lord Rivers said warily. Both men went into the settee and had a seat, neither saying anything. After a long, somewhat tense silence, lord Rivers spoke,

"You don't have to marry Sapphire."

Tristan gave a snort.

"So the ton can lash her with words."

"That's all they could do, attack her with words. I'd rather have that then a marriage without love, and I know so would she."

Tristan stayed silent, not saying anything. Then, after what seemed like a long time, he softly spoke.

"I can't promise love, I don't even know what love is, I can promise to respect and keep her safe."

"Tristan," lord Rivers spoke equally as quietly, "you are capable of love, just look how you treat your people, you need to give yourself a chance. I can't have both of you living in misery. She needs love, it's not a matter of want, its a necessity."

"I can't promise what I can't give." Tristan repeated.

Looking at lord Rivers, Tristan noticed, for once the man looked his age, usually one couldn't tell him apart from the youth, but right now, he seemed to have aged a hundred years or so.

"There are spare rooms on the second floor, have your pick." Lord Rivers said, before quietly getting up and leaving Tristan to his thoughts.

Could he promise her love? He knew the answer all to well, he couldn't. It was a fact, something that was simply there. Tristan stared ahead, not really seeing anything, lost in another time.

'Why the hell are you crying! Tears are for the weak.' The women, his mother snarled before giving the cute little boy a kick to the side. He had come to show her what he made for her, but father had broken it , thus his reason for crying. Thick tears trailed down his chubby cheeks from his innocent, silver eyes His mother had been very sad, he wanted to make her feel better.

'Love doesn't exist, no one loves you, how can you love anyone? You see, in order to give something, you must have it. How can you give something that you don't have, or never had. You don't have love, thus you can not give it. Heed my words lad, no one loves you. Your mother and I hate you, despise you.' The man spoke to the boy who could be no older then ten. In that instance, all his hopes and dreams came crashing before him, rendering him without emotion.....

"My lord?" Alfred called for the third time, watching Tristan sitting with a blank expression, broke his heart. Turning as if he'd jut heard him, Tristan glanced towards Alfred to see he was holding a tray of milk and cookies. Shaking his head,Tristan politely declined.

"The milk is warm, lady Dracmore made the cookies just this morn, it will help you sleep." Alfred said softly, almost pleadingly.

Tristan was about to deny again, but seeing the look of pain and a mixture of warmth on the butlers face, he agreed. Tristan drank the entire glass of milk, as well as finished the cookies, before heading to bed. Unaware to Tristan, Alfred stood in the shadows watching him with unshed tears, the darkness hiding the few rogues who managed to escape.

"When were you all sent away?" Lord Rivers asked quietly as he stood behind Alfred.

"When he was nine, we were all told to leave."

Sapphire awoke with a startled gasp. She sat up only to have a her side pulse in pain.

"You need to be careful." Isabella whispered.

Sapphire looked up to see Isabella on her left side sitting in a chair, in what happened to be her wrinkled, slept in evening gown.

"You stayed the night?"

"How could I not" Isabella countered with a raise of her shapely brows. "Mamma and Paola came in throughout the night." After a brief pause, she whispered, "lord Knight had also made his rounds."

Sapphire nodded, too tired to say much. The sleep hadn't been restful, rather it was restless, although she expected nothing less. Another face to join her nightmares.

"I'll get you breakfast."

"I can come myself." Sapphire spoke softly.

Isabella snorted delicately.

"You're not permitted to move until lord Knight deems it fit."

Sapphire arched a brow.

Tristan stood taking in the crisp fresh air which only blesses one in the early morning light. Allowing the sleeping world to come awake. Tristan felt a presence behind him, but didn't bother to turn. Events he could not recall attacked his dreams. He was exhausted for more reasons than one, although his posture gave no hint to his inner turmoil. A hand on his shoulder hand him glancing down.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Lord Rivers asked, looking ahead as well.

"Yes."

Neither man spoke, each lost in their own thoughts. The morning was beautiful, birds chirped lightly from their homes on nearby trees. The sun hid behind the clouds, as if sensing the mood.

"If you'll excuse me." Tristan murmured before heading back in the house.

Lord Rivers continued to take peace from the life around him. He knew in his heart, there would be no other person who could love and care for Sapphire more than Tristan. And Sapphire would live Tristan with all she was worth, without a doubt. Tristan was-is the son lord Rivers never had, nor does he want one. He loved Tristan dearly, although Tristan did not know, unconsciously refusing to understand. Many times a day lord Rivers wished he had the pleasure or the satisfaction to teach his parents a well deserved lesson. Either way, there's nothing he could have done now except making sure he was well loved and happy for the remainder if his life. Smiling slightly, lord Rivers hatched a plan, his innocent daughter would need to become a tad bit corrupted, or would her innocence be seduction enough? God knew, the kiss Tristan gave her proved it. Smirking in satisfaction, lord Rivers headed towards the stables.

Thank you all for the sweet comments you guys leave, they truly warm my heart ;D, honestly. Some of you are tooo sweet!

Tell me what you think.

Comment.

Vote ;)