Chapter 5|Bruised

Freddi

As I drove away from Axel's house, I couldn't help but wonder what being his baby girl would entail. Then I realized who I was talking about and shook my head at my absurd thoughts.

He was just messing with me, he didn't want anything to do with me. That was the only possible explanation, and though I repeated this mantra for the rest of my drive, I realized his eyes had always shone with quiet sincerity when he was interrogating me in detention.

I shook off the thought as I pulled up to my house and braced myself for the torture that I knew awaited me.

I hadn't been late since I was twelve and I had gone to the library instead of heading straight home. What a mistake... as soon as I walked through the door I was bombarded with curses and ended up with a broken arm.

When I opened the door, I looked around and saw him sleeping soundly on the couch. I sighed in relief and began to walk upstairs.

"Where do you think you're going," he questioned as he grabbed my hair and pulled me to the floor. I landed on my side and hit my shoulder on the bottom stair causing me to hiss in pain. My dad pulled me up and threw me into the wall, making me hit my shoulder again.

"Where were you little slut?" He asked before kicking me in my chest, effectively knocking the air out of my lungs.

I gasped and curled up into a ball trying to make myself smaller to escape from the pain. But like always, he ignored my obvious discomfort and continued to kick me nonstop.

When he was out of breath, he stopped and stomped upstairs. The last thing I heard was him chuckling before the darkness completely took over.

. . .

When I woke up I was momentarily disoriented but as the events from earlier flooded back into my mind, I groaned.

Wincing as I stood up, I noticed that my shoulder hurt with every jolting step. That was going to be the hardest to hide.

I walked into the bathroom and stripped myself, examining my battered body in the mirror as I did so. My shoulder was swollen, with black and purple bruises that were also covering my torso.

Looking in the mirror, I thought I could have just ended all of this, and if he walked in I could just cut vertical lines. The doctors, if he even called them, wouldn't be able to stitch those up.

I immediately stopped myself from thinking those dangerous thoughts as I knew that although not many people seem to care, my death- my suicide, would hurt Heather, Wes, and my "loving mother" of course.

Maybe even Axel...

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Published: 08/14/16
Edited: 12/27/17

And again on: 09/22/18

—Halo