Secrets

When Ava agreed to go out on a date with me I was in the clouds. Memories of us when we were kids came back to me. When went to pick up her at the restaurant for our date she looked beautiful I couldn't stop looking at her it was more like staring. I then learned that she didn't drink alcohol I was a bit disappointed but that didn't stop us from having a good time. I suggested that we play 20 questions but it was more of an interrogation than a game. I learned so much so quickly. When I was her turn to ask the questions she already knew the most of them. When Josh spoiled our mood I didn't notice that he was my sister-in-law's brother. I also didn't know that he would be a problem in the further. Boy was I wrong.

Ava's POV.

After the whole Dale fiasco I was on my way to leave when my mother came in through the door. "Hello mom." "Hello Ava. Can we talk?" "Sure we can talk in my office." We walked to my office. "You look like you want to say something mom. What is wrong?" "I know you are an adult and you make your own choices and I am not talking about you going on vacation with Dale but a little heads up would have been nice." "I don't understand what are you talking about mom?" "Oh no did I ruin the surprise?" "What surprise?" "Dale proposing to you? He asked my permission just before you left on vacation." "That is not going to happen we aren't getting married, he isn't going to propose because we broke up. We are not together anymore." The smile dropped from my mom's face and then she looked at me sad.

"She came between you two didn't she?" "Yes, she did. She said something to him I don't know what but it'd upset him he went and got drunk and brought a girl to his bed while I was in the house." "I am so sorry honey." My mother hugged me.

"I was so angry that I left the house and walked around in the streets of New York till I couldn't anymore and sat down behind a tree and started to cry. Josh took me to his apartment and helped me. He gave me food and clothes. I know what you are thinking why is Josh not in jail and why did I trust him after all the things he did? Well he talked to me about why he followed me. He was paid to do it by Moira. You know the money I received for my twenty first, well I spent most of the money investing in a company turns out it is Moira's company and she sold 51% to me and now she wants it back."

My mother looked at me a bit shocked. "He also told me about dad and Moira's son, Antony, my half brother." "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about that it must have been a shock to found out." "It was a big shock but I understood why you didn't tell me."

My mother let out a sigh. "The reason why you got that money was because of your father. He struck a deal with Moira that he wants to invest in her company until you become the age of twenty one then the money will be given to you."

I never knew that my family had so many secrets. That my relationship with Dale was doomed from the start. I realize now that it would have never worked out. "Is there any other secrets that I don't know about mom?" "No, I am pretty sure you know everything now." She looks at me with concern. "Are you not well you look a bit pail? Should I take you to the doctor?" "No, I am fine just a bit tired." "You young lady are to go home and get some rest and I don't want to hear a piep about it understood?" "Yes, mama." I say and burst out laughing.

****

When I woke up later it was almost eight- thirty. My room was filled with the smell of fried onion and mushrooms. I found Josh in the kitchen busy doing the dishes. "Did I wake you?" "Yes and no. You had awoken my stomach which woke me up. But I am not complaining since I don't have to make dinner." "You are forgetting desert." "You made desert how lucky can I get?" Josh let out a soft chuckle.

"I didn't want you wake you so I already ate. I put your food in the microwave." "Thank you for dinner and not waking me. I needed the rest." "Why, are you sick?" "No, why do you and my mother think that." "Because we care and are worried about you and you look pail." "Still?" "Yes. Did anything happen today?" I took a deep breath. "Dale came to visit me today. I had words for him and afterwards I cried." "Did he do anything...?" "No, he just wanted to explain and I wouldn't let him. It still hurts too much." Josh embraced me in a hug. "Are you ready for tomorrow?" "Yes."

Josh POV

I was in my room when I heard Ava coming into the house earlier than expected and after ten minutes I went to check on her and found her asleep on the bed. I covered her with her blanket and left her in peace. She looks paler then this morning. I hope she doesn't have the flu or something. I was board in the house so I watched a few movies and then I started making dinner around six- thirty.

I was busy with the dishes when I was Ava's shadow behind me. She still looked pale and I'm starting to get worried. She thanked me for the dinner and leaving her in peace. That she needed the rest. "Why, are you sick?" "No, why do you and my mother think that." "Because we care and are worried about you and you look pail." "Still?" She sounded shocked. "Yes. Did anything happen today?" I ask out of curiosity. She took a deep breath.

"Dale came to visit me today. I had words for him and afterwards I cried." "Did he do anything...?" Dale if he even looks at her wrongly ever again I'll break him. "No, he just wanted to explain and I wouldn't let him. It still hurts too much." I did what I thought would help I embraced her in a hug. "Are you ready for tomorrow?" "Yes."

Tomorrow is going to be the meeting. I have no idea what Ava is going to say or do but if I was her I would fire them all. It is past midnight and I'm starring up at the ceiling. I don't want Ava involved with the plan. I had everything planed then she came and changed everything. As soon as she is emotionally better I have to leave. I can't have or use her in the plan. She has nothing to do with it and it is not fair to her.

Why did I have to fall in love with her? Why me? Why Dale? She deserves better than the both us. She deserves someone who sweeps her of her feet and not has so many skeletons in the closet. She deserves someone loyal and not deceiving.

I hate myself for ever agreeing to do the stalking thing. That did more harm than good for me and the Cunningham's. Money and power that is what it is all about. They think they can manipulate everyone and buy their way out of every situation. Not anymore. I will have my revenge. They will pay for all the harm and pain they caused. They have no idea what I'm capable off. I just have to keep my dark side a secret from Ava. I don't want to hurt her anymore than she has already been hurt. I closed my eyes and try to remember the first time I talked to Ava.

"Good day sir. May I take your order?" "Yeah first thing call me Josh not sir I'm only twenty four and secondly what would you prefer." She smiled at me. "Well Josh since I designed the menu and have made and tested every dish on there it is really a thought question." "Okay fair enough. Answer me this than why is the owner waiting and not her waiters." Because I like to talk to my customers." "I'll have a lime milkshake and whatever you suggest goes with it." It wasn't even fifth teen minutes when my food was one my table with a lime milkshake. That day she wore black denim with a loose purple top. Her hair was in a messy bun.

That was a month before Dale showed up. In that month I fell in love with a woman who cares about others. Almost always helps out at the hospital. If things were different and maybe things will someday change I want to become her husband.