FOUR|FACADE

"Daniel is outside waiting for you and he seems in a rush

"Daniel is outside waiting for you and he seems in a rush." Tamsin yelled, her high pitched voice trailing across from the diners kitchen, it had been three weeks since the first time that old man had came in,

And since then, he had been coming in everyday to check on me, we would talk and talk but it would never advance any further then brief friendly exchanges, his name was Jack, and he had loved to tell me about his wife and children, and their grand children.

-He was the only one that cared enough to ask me how my day was.

And sometimes... I felt like the only reason I bothered to get up in the morning was because I knew that the highlight of my day would be the brief conversations with Jack.

"Thanks." I shouted back, before hanging up my apron and gathering my things in preparation to leave.

Maybe...
Maybe today wouldn't be so bad, maybe Daniel wouldn't be drunk...
Maybe he wouldn't hit me,

-Just maybe.

My palms began to sweat profusely as I exited the diner and began to approach Daniel's old pick up truck that he treasured above all else, it was an ugly thing really, with chipping red paint and one broken mirror hanging by its hinges that Daniel had smashed in a fit of rage last week,
-that was a bad day.

I could still hear my sickening cries, Daniel yelling at me for whatever it was I had done.
-and on that particular day, when he arrived at the diner to pick me up, I was ensconced in a pleasant conversation with Jack, which Daniel obviously didn't approve of,

***

"My wife and I-"

"AMORA!" Daniel yelled, slamming the door to his truck and storming towards us, cutting Jack off mid sentence.

"And who is this?" Jack asked, turning his full attention innocently towards Daniel with a warm smile on his face, one that didn't quite crinkle at the corners of his eyes the way I had come accustomed to.

A mask of happiness, just like the one I wore myself.

"I'm her boyfriend." Daniel spat with so much malice, considering his words a shield, "Who are you?" he narrowed his eyes suspiciously at the old man, as if sizing him up as a potential threat, which Jack certainly was not.

"Just a friend." Jack replied wistfully, his gaze focused on a passing bird that flew overhead.

"Amora doesn't have friends." Daniel snapped, stepping in front of me, creating a barrier between Jack and I.