TWENTYSIX|NORTH

Hours passed

Hours passed.
Evergreen trees blurred into one monotonous and unbroken line.

I felt sick to my stomach at the thought of what had transpired just hours prior, Why had I let it go on so long.

I should've left him years ago.
I should've killed him years ago.

I had escaped, for now.
But he would never truly leave me, like a disease he was in everything around me.
I saw his eyes in the trees, his heart in the darkness of the night.
His blood was my blood, running thick and poisonous through my hollow veins. He clogged my arteries with his thick black waste and left me dying.

He was toxic.
I should've realised sooner.

I pulled into the parking lot of the first diner I passed, my stomach cried out for the promised burgers 'Bert & Beth' held within the four timber walls.

A woman with her back to me called over the counter. "Hey darlin', just go ahead and pick a table and I'll be right with ya!"

I chose the largest corner booth, the one that was the most shielded from prying eyes. Not a single soul stirred within the diner, the only other signs of life was an older man, with greying hair and deep frown lines I met his dull blue eyes but only for a split second over the brim of his newspaper.

He quickly looked away, sipping his tea.
Everything within me was humming with anticipation, just waiting for Daniel to come skulking our of the shadows to finish the job, gun in hand.

I scowled down at the menu until a plump woman in her late forties pulled me from my melancholy thoughts with her over joyous voice. "Hey-"

She stopped as soon as my eyes met hers.
I must've been a mess.

My once white blonde hair was now matted and brown with blood. A deep gash slit my eyebrow and I was almost certain my right eye was a bitter shade of purple.

"Oh my goodness!" She cried. "What in the heavens happened to you?"

I was tired, tired of fighting, tired of pity.

"Nothing. I'm fine." I didn't mean to snap at the poor woman. "I'll have Bert's special... please."

"Oh darlin', you wait right here and I'll fix you something, no charge." She looked like she'd seen a ghost. "Is... is there anyone I can call for you?"

"No." I blurted instantly. "No, don't call anyone. I'm fine." I tried my best to force a small smile.

"Well..Ok darlin', if you say so..."

She wondered off, though her loud voice still carried. I could hear snippets her in the back.

"-Covered in blood!-"
"-needs help! It's not right!"
"Call-"

She came back not a minute later, a tray loaded with food in hand.

"Now listen my love, are you sure they're isn't a soul I can call for you?" Her glassy green eyes looked almost tearful. "You look pretty beat up."

"No, thank you.. honestly I'm fine, I.. I got in a car accident a few miles back."

Stupid.
Stupid.
Stupid.

"Well, ok if you say so... but please let me know if there's anything more I can do for ya.."
She disappeared into the back once more, but I didn't miss the side glance she gave Daniel's beat up truck.

It was beat up but it wasn't destroyed, it clearly hadn't been in a crash.

Stupid.

I practically inhaled to food, a burger, fries, a large milkshake and a slice of carrot cake that I wrapped in a napkin and tucked into my pocket for later.

I was too busy stuffing my face to realise the ghostly blue eyes boring holes into the side of my head.

He hung up the phone as soon as I saw him, leaving through the main door.

I was stupid.
I was naive.

I should've known that Daniel wouldn't be the only one after me.

I hadn't noticed the four nardo grey cars that had pulled into the parking lot.

I hadn't noticed the mountain of muscle that was now headed towards the entrance of the diner.

My heart plummeted.

Greyson.

My eyes scanned my surroundings frantically, searching for any means of escape.

I spotted the ladies restroom, running in there just as Greyson entered, the small bell ringing above the door.

I locked the door behind me, my heart pounded against its cage of bone and my lungs ceased to function.

There was one small window.
Just small enough for me to squeeze through.

I closed the lid of the toilet, standing on it as I pried open the small window.

It took my several attempts to manoeuvre my body to fit, all the while time was ticking.

He wasn't stupid, he knew that I was here somewhere and it wouldn't take him long to figure out what I was doing.

Once through I slowly and silently lowered my body into the bush that cushioned my fall on the other side of the wall.

It was maybe a twenty metre sprint to my car.
Four burly men lingered around Greyson's cars.

The question was... who was faster?

Of course they were, but I had the element of surprise.

Three.

Two.

One.

I ran faster than I had ever ran before, I heard shouts from somewhere in the distance, but it was already too late.

I flung open the battered red door, locking it behind me as fumbled to put the keys in the ignition.

They were fast closing in.

The truck sprung to life with a splutter. I slammed my foot on the accelerator, driving over the sidewalk and several flowers before slamming into the concrete road.

And with that I was gone.
Leaving nothing but flecks of dust in my wake.

***
Any thoughts? Theories?
Anyways...
Don't forget to vote and comment!
-🍟