Ch. 16

I woke up early the next day. Chris was still asleep in the guest bedroom. Mike was happy that I was back to playing with him. I've been neglected him these past few days.

I was trying out some new recipes today for Chris to judge. I turned on the music to fill up the quietness in the house. I didn't make it too loud though so as not to wake Chris up.

As I cooked, I sang along to the song. It wasn't long until I was in my own little Neverland.

I am a lost boy from Neverland
Usually hanging out with Peter Pan
And when we're bored we play in the woods
Always on the run from Captain Hook
"Run, run, lost boy, " they say to me
Away from all of reality

Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free
Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free

He sprinkled me in pixie dust and told me to believe
Believe in him and believe in me
Together we will fly away in a cloud of green
To your beautiful destiny
As we soared above the town that never loved me
I realized I finally had a family
Soon enough we reached Neverland
Peacefully my feet hit the sand
And ever since that day

A second voice joined me in singing the chorus. Turning around, I looked at the smiling Chris seated behind the breakfast bar. He motioned me to continue singing and so that was what we did. We sang along to the song as I cooked our breakfast.

I am a lost boy from Neverland
Usually hanging out with Peter Pan
And when we're bored we play in the woods
Always on the run from Captain Hook
"Run, run, lost boy, " they say to me
Away from all of reality

Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free
Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free

After the song, we smiled at each other.

"Nothing interesting about you huh?" Chris says as I put down the plate of food in front of him

"You can sing like an angel and make food that smells like heaven." He says .

"I don't know about my singing, but I am pretty confident in my cooking" I say  "This one is a new recipe though, so I'm not sure if it'll taste good."

"I'm sure it will." He cuts a slice of the pancake and pops it in his mouth. I wait to see his reaction. His eyes widened and his jaw drops. I'm guessing it's good...

"Holy crap."

"THIS IS AMAZING"He yells. That was all he said before continuing to stuff his face with the pancakes.

"Wha esh dish?" He says something with his mouth full

"Jeez. Finish your food before you talk. It's impolite to talk with your mouth is full."  I say. He does so.

"What is this?" He asks properly this time

"This is a Banana Sour Cream Pancake and the drink is a Peach Pie smoothie." I say

"This is so amazing." He moans as he takes another bite of the pancake

"Thank you" I laugh

"I am coming over all the time now for your food." He says

"Or I could just bring it down to you"

"No." His eyes widen "God no. My room is still a huge mess and it will always be a mess because I am a messy messy boy."

"My place it is then" I laugh. My eyes widen suddenly and I groan.

"Oh god"

"Why?" He asks

"I  forgot that it's Friday today.  I thought it was Saturday" I sigh

"Skip. Skip. Skip. Skip." He chants

"I guess....there's nothing important to do today anyways." I shrug

"Yesss!!!! My classes today are in the night so it's all perfect! We get to be together the whooollleee day" He slings his arm over my shoulders. I smile widely. This was the first time that I got to hang out with a friend for a whole day.

"Okay. You get ready and I'll get ready too. I'll be here soon to pick you up. Bring Mike's leash cause we're taking him out with us" He gives me a hug and before leaving. I stand up, about to fix the dishes, when Chris came back.

"Wait! I forgot!!! Give me these. I'll wash the dishes" He takes the dishes from me and heads to the sink

"Chrisss you don't have to do that. I am perfectly capable of washing the dishes" I say

"Nope! You cooked me breakfast. The least I could do is clean up." He says as he begins washing the dishes

"I cooked you breakfast because it's the least I could do for you after helping me last night "  I try to take back the dishes from him, but he takes it back and playfully glares at me.

"Just go get ready, Har."  He says

"Okay okay" I raise my hands in mock defeat. I head to my room and started getting ready for the day.

After my shower, I put on my vanilla scented lotion. I picked out a dark gray dress and put a flannel around my waist. I put on my  lace up ankle boots and walk outside.

Chris wasn't here yet , so I sat on my couch and beckoned Mike over. He walked over to me, and I purse my lips while rubbing his head. Chris said to bring a leash, but he doesn't have one...His old one broke and I didn't bother buying a new one because he always follows me anyways. I shrug my shoulders.

"You won't run away, will you bud?" I ask him. He lays his head on my lap in response.

"I'll take that as a no" I chuckle

I took his bouncy ball and threw it for him to fetch. We played like this for a while until Chris came back.

"I'm baaacckkk!!" Chris says as he enters through the door

"Har, please lock your doors. I love bursting in here unannounced, but I don't want anyone else bursting in here." He says

"Okay okay. Let's just go now. I'm sure Mike wants a larger place to play fetch" I say. Mike brings me the ball and the three of us walk to the park. Mike walks in front of us.  Chris and I take turns in throwing the ball for Mike to fetch. We talked about nonsense the whole time.

Once we got tired, we sat down on the bench while Mike ran around.

"Hey Harley, you want some ice cream?" He poits to an ice cream shop nearby

"Yes please. I'll take any flavor" I smile thankfully at him. He nods and jogs towards the ice cream shop.

I sat peacefully by myself on the park bench, but this time someone was coming back to me. I usually come here by myself to get some air. I sat on a bench watching people walk by. They were either with friends or family. Now I was here with a friend for once.

And as Chris came walking back to me with two ice creams in hand, I realized that maybe things are going to get better.

Maybe there is something to look foward to.

///////////////////