Red Riding Hood Part 1

When you were a child, your parents would always warn you about the wolves in the forest. You grandmother lived within the forest and every time you would visit her, you left right before the sun sets. Your parents were very reluctant to send you because just like the rest of the town, your grandmother was regarded as a crazy woman. Nonetheless you still visit her.

You had never came to encounter a wolf before and was grateful. Your grandmother had told you about her encounter with one and how the wold nearly ate her and your great great grandmother had a huntsman was not passing by. You were packing bread, cheese and flask of sweet water for your grandmother to give her when your mother stopped you.

"Why do you want to see her so much F/n. The lady went crazy years ago."

"Mother." you turn to her and smile. "She lives a pitiful existence. She can't come to town now because of the rumors circulating around her and age. Someone needs to be with her for few hours a week."

"You are too kind hearted dear."

"It is better than being cruel." The main reason why people considered your grandmother crazy was because of the wolf she encountered. Now when she told people about the incident they believed the part about their being a wolf. But when the huntsman took her and her grandmother away, she said she saw the corpse of the wolf transform into a human. For years she tried to get people to believe her but no one did except for your grandfather. As she grew older, people started calling her crazy causing her to leave the town disgraced shortly after he died. 

You didn't believe the part about the wolf turning human but you still took care of her. After you finished packing, you wear the red cloak your grandmother gave you. The cloak was rather worn out with age but it was still usable. Not to mention warm. You put it on and soon leave to visit her. As you are walking towards the forest you hear whispers.

"By now she should be married." one whispers

"But she takes care of the crazy woman." another replies

"But it is because of that people are drawn to her. She is too nice." You were used to this. It was normal for people in your town to get married as soon as they were of age. Your twenty, an official adult. You had proposals sent to you but you always evaded it. You decided to get married only after your grandmother passed away. You never told this to anyone as you knew there are some people who want her dead. 

While walking through the forest you notice a man. He is lying on his stomach and looks very tired. His clothes are scraggly and too big for him. With small steps you edge closer to the man.

"Are you alright?" you ask. You see his body shake a little and you try to help him up. When you see his face, you are surprised by the fact he looks to be around your age, maybe even a little older. When he make eye contact with you, you ask once more. "Are you alright?" 

"I-I'm." he says with a shaky voice. "Hungry." you hear his stomach growling. You let him lie down on your lap gently and bring your basket closer. 

"I have some food if you would like."

"Thank you." you give the man some bread and cheese and offer some sweet water though he declines. Once he finishes eating he asked. "What are you doing in the forest. They wolves live here."

"I could be asking the same to you."

"I asked first." you let out a small laugh and answer.

"My grandmother lives in the forest. No one in town cares for her so I visit whenever I can."

"Is her name Red." you turn to him wide eyed.

"How do you know that?"

"I got lost a few days ago. She is allowing me to stay with her for the time being. Even making new clothes for me." he says pulling on his over sized shirt.

"Well since we are going the same place, want to walk together?" you ask.

"Sure why not. My name is Lazar."

"F/n." you help him up and the two of you head on over to your grandmother's cottage.