Thumbelina Part 2

Your mother had left a book for you that was already open in case you couldn't sleep. You were in the process of turning the page when you heard the sound of small footsteps. You turn but see no one. You shake your head and continue your task.

Jerome was surprised to see you. He had never saw a person his height without wings. He had been to this village before but he never saw you. Quietly he sneaks up to you. You had just finished turning the page when you turn around, only to be greeted by a man of the same height as you. You let out a startled scream and fall onto the book.

"Are you okay?" he asks you as he helps you back onto your feet.

"Y-you a-are my h-height." you stutter. There were people like you. Almost. This stranger had wings. "Are you a fairy?" you ask him after composing yourself.

"I am. My name is Jerome."

"Jerome."

"What is yours?"

"F/n."

"F/n. You don't have wings." you look down. "Do you know why?"

"I don't. My mother was a human. She told me I was born from a flower she got from a woman."

"Interesting. I have been to this village before. I never saw you though."

"Mother says I shouldn't leave because there are people who are bad."

"So you never left?"

"I can't. I can't fly like you and I am not as big as a human." Jerome smiles at you.

"Then F/n. I shall be your wings." you step back when Jerome says this.

"Pardon?"

"I know the feeling of wanting an adventure. Trust me F/n, I will bring you back before the sun sets." With hesitance you agree and he flies you away. The outside was beautiful. It was so green and you saw animals and plants you only ever saw in books. Jerome explains everything one by one and soon you are returned to your home.

"Thank you." Jerome smiles.

"I haven't shown you everything though. There is a small pond west of here. It is really beautiful."

"Is it possible then. That you can show me?" you ask. Jerome nods.

"It is an honor. Until tomorrow night F/n." he then flies away. It must be nice to have wings. You could explore everywhere without having the help of others.

Jerome had kept his promise and took you all over the area. He did it again and again and soon, it became normal to just go out on a regular basis. You never told your mother though. You didn't know how she would react. It was during another one of your nightly outings you told Jerome 

"I wish I had wings." you tell him as you sit by the edge of pond not to far away from your home. "If I did, I can fly and see everything without you having to carrying me."

"I don't mind F/n. You are a very nice person. I wouldn't mind doing it over and over again if it means you will smile for me." His words made you smile but you still had envy for the fact he had wings. Jerome notices this and wraps his arms around you. "One day F/n, I will bring you to my home and give you your wings."

"What does that mean?" you ask him.

"You will learn soon enough." he smiles at you before looking out to the horizon. "We should hurry back. The sun is rising." he then carries you and heads back to your home. Unknown to the two of you, you had caught the attention of a particular amphibian.