The Little Match Girl Part 4 (End)

"And so Mr. Marshal..." you were telling Lucia all about what Marshal did and what seemed the most interesting. Lucia listened with earnest and smiled when she heard something that interested her. When you finished explaining, she smiles at you.

"Thank you so much for telling me this F/n. I think I have a few things in common. Maybe we will have a conversation that will be more than just about my health."

"I hope so too." you reply. Marshal walks away. You were always following him and asking questions for Lucia. You never asked because you were interested. Marshal felt pain in his chest. It had become painfully clear to him you didn't love him. He calmed himself and decides to pretend he never had those feelings. After all, he was a married man and you were nothing but a girl who was from the streets.

Over the course of the next few days, you try talking to Marshal but he always brushes you off. One day he just snaps.

"Will you leave me alone!? I tried being polite about it but you are just not getting it are you? I don't want your company. The only reason you have your damn job is because my wife wanted you to work here." you flinch back at his tone. You nod and bow your head.

"I am sorry Mr. Sim. It will not happen again." you walk back the way you came. Marshal ran a hand through his hair. You called him Mr. Sim instead of Marshal. It felt painful. From that day on you stayed true to your word and stayed out of Marshal's way. You explained to Lucia that you wouldn't be able to continue helping her and she accepts your reason saying she understands.

You seemed to be getting by rather fine. You did your tasks efficiently and continued to do so. Marshal continues doing his job but grew irritated. You didn't seem fazed at all when he shouted. You maintained distance from him and acted as if he was nothing special to you. He blamed his wife. If perhaps she didn't ask for you help, you would of developed feelings for him. He was still a married man. Lucia was useless to him. He married out of pity. They would be able to have children in her state and he was doing fine on his own. Life would be so much easier for him if she disappeared.

Marshal was administering medicine to her when she started responding with violent coughing. Blood streamed out of her mouth and she was pronounced dead. You were shocked to hear of her death but like everyone else, suspected it was due to her illness.

Marshal seemed sad and stayed to himself during the funeral. You couldn't help but go to him and ask, "Are you okay?" He says nothing but hold you to him.

"Let me stay like this for a bit." You slowly return his hug and comfort him about Lucia's death. Marshal had apologized for how he yelled at you and you accepted. You grew closer and after a year, he proposed. You had mixed feelings about this since there was a social class difference between you but Marshal managed to convince and you were married.