Mulan Epilogue

Days after learning about the previous Emperor's death, several men had a palanquin carried over. One of the men came up to your father.

 "Hua Zhou." The man says reading off paper. "The Emperor requests your family's presence in the palace to honor your daughter's heroic deeds." You were surprised at this information as was your parents.

"I see. Are we to leave now?" your father asks.

"Yes."

"A few moments please. Allow my family to look more presentable." your father turns to your mother. "Bring out the finer clothes we use for special occasions. We will wear those to the palace." Your mother nods and heads to find the clothes, dressing you and your brother as formal as she could. Soon you were on your way to the palace.

You had arrived at nightfall and a banquet was held. You were given a seat of honor. You felt awkward though. It had been over a month since you saved Jian Ren's life. Also the previous Emperor was poisoned. How could he be so festive? Jian Ren smiled at you before making an announcement.

"I have gathered you all to show my gratitude to my savior. Without her, I would of been dead and we would have been in war. She has saved us all in that case." he then turns to you. "Through the course of all of this, I have come to terms that this woman was more than just my savior. In fact I would like to take her as my legal wife." your eyes widen. You wanted to reject him but you held your tongue. He was now the Emperor. Whatever he said goes. Besides you were in a room filled with aristocrats and people of high social standing. If you were to reject him, not only would you be disrespecting him, you would be dishonoring your family. (I know one of you is going to make that comment)

"Tell me Hua F/n, will be my wife." he asks with a smile.

"...Yes." the look on his face was that of triumph. You pretended to be happy knowing you were going to get married to him. After that, Jian Ren had you move to the palace. He offered your family to stay but they declined saying that it would be wrong to move into their in-laws home. He didn't stop them after that. Your parents couldn't write and neither could you. You couldn't communicate with them in any way.

Shortly after getting married, you had suspected Jian Ren of poisoning his own father because of how happy he sounded having him dead. What also led to your suspicions was that you learned that he died shortly after drinking something Jian Ren gave him. You never said anything about it.

Jian Ren did take concubines but he never payed any attention to them unless they stepped out of line and tried to harass you. It usually ended with them being executed for something they never did. You did bear him a son and acted like a good wife, but you began to despise the man you once considered a comrade. He never allowed you outside of the palace unless you were with him. You couldn't even visit your family. For the price of your father's life, you gave up yours.