15. Sincerely, Still me lol sorry to disappoint

Hello.

The entire cohort of my grade went to a 'outdoor adventure' as they called it but I stayed behind.

There was another court date due today but I was forced to stay at home with my mother to endorse the fact and create the illusion that she was very sick. When in reality they needed to wait for her bruises to heal. Well, heal enough to have the makeup cover my parents hatred.

I went to her room today and I sat next to her in the bed, a bed made for two. She barely talked, the program discussing an overly expensive dress and unnecessary skin products captured her attention more than I did.

So, eventually I left. I wondered if she'd call after me but she didn't. My father was away, I scurried down to the kitchen and began to cut an apple.

I've never held a knife and thought of anything to do it with besides cut food but today as I cut the skin of the apple I thought. I watched how close it went to my nails and was dazed by the sharpness — had they always been that sharp?

I jumped at the sound of the door opening.

Dropping the knife in a moment of panic, as if I had been caught doing something bad. The blade cut the palm of my hand wide open which caused an outright scream from my father.

Blood seeped out and over the floor, covering my bear feet. He screamed for my mother but some part of me knew she would have heard and turned the TV up.

Their love had died and I was the product of their love. Holding a dish cloth to my hand as my father ushered me towards the front door frantically.

The nurse said something to me after he'd stitched my hand and wrapped it, something that was still playing in my head on the rainy drive home.

He asked, "Are you okay?"

I almost started crying at those three words I'd longed to hear.

But something that had never left my mind
since the cold metal had cut my skin was; I just couldn't believe how dark blood really was.

You don't except it to be crimson. You don't except your life to be a dark shade of crimson and flow like a river from your skin.

Sincerely,
Still me lol sorry to disappoint