1.14 The Best Seedling

After both of the generals left, the Emperor looked out of the window and stood in silence. If anyone were to see him from behind, his tall posture looked somewhat slumped, his whole being carried an almost indiscernible trace of frailty.

Outside the window, there was a garden tastefully decorated with a few dwarf bamboo plants and a water feature over some larger stones arrangement. With the simplicity, one could clearly see that the stone water feature was the main focal point of the garden. Zhang SongWang liked the sound of water; at times it served as a guide for him to think, at times it made him relaxed. This time, it made him reminisced.

The room was off-limits to anyone else without his exclusive permission to enter; even then, he had to be inside as well

The room was off-limits to anyone else without his exclusive permission to enter; even then, he had to be inside as well. When he was in the room with whoever he summoned, there would be no servants to serve him. The servants had to wait outside, at a boundary behind that small water garden. More over, before he left the room and the garden on his own accord, no one were to disturb him or to give messages, even if they were from the Empress.

After a few moment had passed, the Emperor walked towards the table. He gave another glance at the map on it, let out a sigh, before bending slightly to reach something under the table. There was a secret compartment under the table that only he was aware of.

He took out another scroll and carefully untied the binding, before gently spreading it on top of the map on the table.

On the scroll was a single painting of a young woman. She had dark brown hair that was simply braided to one side, falling naturally to her right shoulder. Behind her right ear, there was a stalk of blue poppy affixed to her hair. The flower was rare in Da Lang, but they were in abundance in wider plains of the Northern wilderness.

 The flower was rare in Da Lang, but they were in abundance in wider plains of the Northern wilderness

However, what the painter seemed to have paid more attention to, was her eyes. The young woman had limpid, double-lidded eyes. Her nose was prominent, with a slightly higher bridge. Although her eyes gave her a very soft look, the painter emphasized the vibrancy in her gaze, making her expression enticing. The contradiction between her gentle features and the actual spirit conveyed was vividly portrayed. With her gaze directed towards the painter and a light quirk of her teasing smile, it seemed as though the painting would come alive anytime soon and start conversing.