1.26 Return

After excusing himself to return to Da Lang, Chao HuiBo left the room, accompanied by the third Prince GuoFu. Ji LanBai had also now woken up and tagged along behind him with YuLan. 

Soon, they noticed SunChen and Chao MeiHua by one of the bamboo groves in front of the small residence. HeShan seemed to have disappeared somewhere.

Chao MeiHua was looking at SunChen with longing  in her sparkling eyes that were now starting to bead some tears. SunChen sighed; he stepped backwards lightly as he avoided MeiHua's reaching hands onto his dark grey robes,

"Miss Chao. Whatever you have seen in me is just an illusion."

Chao MeiHua shook her head, her eyes pleading.

"Miss Chao, you are very young. You are just infatuated with an image. That is not love."

"No, Sun-laoshi," MeiHua stubbornly walked forward, only for SunChen to take another step back to avoid her, "I have admired you since I was a little girl. You should know."

SunChen's brows furrowed as he wanted to curse inside, "Why are all women so..."

"Miss Chao," he calmly looked into the young lady's eyes, his own pupils devoid of any ripple of emotion. He was getting very frustrated. And very irate as HeShan very helpfully had left him on his own with this girl as soon as they left the room,

"It's not you. It's me. I'm not worthy."

Bai YuLan's lips were lifted in a smirk, "What a classic way to reject a girl. Well at least it is much better than leading her on."

Chao MeiHua still shook her head weakly, "No. Sun-laoshi. It can't be anyone else but you."

SunChen took a deep breath and was silent for a while. He then slumped his shoulders - seemingly in acceptance which caused Chao MeiHua to perk up a little, only for her to be stunned as SunChen then spoke,

"Miss Chao. It's impossible," He lifted the corner of his lips in a helpless smile, "I like men."

YuLan thought, "If this was a movie, this would be precisely when cicadas would start singing amidst the silence." 

"Actually, I think I can hear the cicadas."

Chao MeiHua stared at SunChen in disbelief and stumbled backwards. She then noticed the new spectators - her brother, the two young ladies from Ji estate, and the third Royal Prince.

Her cheeks grew red in shame, then anger. She lifted her fingers and pointed at SunChen,

"SunChen! Why did you even have to give me that pathetic lie!! I am a distinguished Di daughter of the Ministry of Finance of the mighty Zhang Empire." She took a deep breath and now glared very fiercely at him, " You - are - not - worthy - for - me!"

She harrumphed, flung her sleeves, and walked away without looking back,

"Bo-ge! We are leaving!"

Chao HuiBo only smiled wryly in embarrassment towards Prince GuoFu. After nodding slightly at LanBai and YuLan to take his leave, he followed his sister.

SunChen scratched his head, "But that's what I said earlier. I am not worthy for you."

Bai YuLan could not contain her laughter - her voice ringing out breaking the sudden silence. Ji LanBai followed suit, giggling on SunChen's expense. While Prince GuoFu only stared at them both, his expression amused but also conflicted.

HeShan then appeared from behind a pillar, he had been there all along eavesdropping,

"You almost gave me a heart attack, Chen. You like men?"