1.70 An Uninvited Guest

One day before New Year's eve, there was a horse-drawn carriage parked in front of Yong tea-house.

The driver of the carriage was just a normal old servant, currently waiting for his young master - who was still trying to gain access inside the residence.

The young master's face was red as he repeated his demand - for the umpteenth time - to the stoic two soldiers who stood guard in front of the gate. 

The young man was the heir of Hun'ang's town lord, surnamed Qian(1). His father was the wealthiest town merchant who had built his fortune there. Initially Old Qian started small, but as soon as trade was opened freely by Emperor Zhang and the Northern Plains' tribal king, he quickly set up his shop in Hun'ang. He had a good eye for business, in a matter of years, his lone shop  multiplied, his humble house became the largest mansion in the town.

It was not wrong to say, that the Qian family was the most respected and influential in the border town of Hun'ang.

The young man - Hun'ang town lord's only son - was named Qian FanSheng (2).  He just turned twenty-one that year.

"I just want to see Miss Bai YuLan. I am your customer!"

The guards did not lower their still-sheathed swords, which they had crossed with each other - blocking his path. They repeated what they had told Qian FanSheng before,

"Yong tea-house is closed until the second week of New Year. It has been closed since last week and we have made proper announcement at Hun'ang."

"Yes, I know," FanSheng grumbled, "But I still want to see Miss Bai. I have prepared a carriage to bring Miss Bai to Hun'ang."

There was a trace of arrogance in his high voice,

"My house has been decorated for New Year's Eve festivities and we are delighted to offer Miss Bai a lodging to celebrate together."

The guards stayed silent at this, maintaining their stoic expressions. However, each one of them rolled their eyes inwardly,

"Another pesky fly."

"What 'we are delighted to offer Miss Bai'? Her single strand of hair cannot even compare to your whole life, okay? If Young Master heard about this... ."

"The way Young Master Ji declared his love for Miss Bai before he left. That still gives me chills whenever I recall it."

"For all we know, Miss Bai may become the future Ji Mistress. We have to protect her on Young Master's behalf."

"But what to do with this fly?"

"Young Master said we must not hurt civilians..."

All the while, Qian FanSheng trailed on and on,

"I am sure Miss Bai will be honored to spend New Year's eve at my house."

"You just have to let me talk to her."

The conversation was mostly one-sided, Qian FanSheng's voice only got louder as he kept being ignored and blocked by the guards.

Finally, two figures came out of the residence. His eyes brightened, but soon dimmed when he saw the figures were two men.

HeShan walked out, carrying his guqin in his arms. SunChen trailed to his side.

Initially, they were all idly playing guqin and composing songs inside the house. However everyone could suddenly hear the banters from outside. YuLan gave a guilty and conflicted look at her companions, as she knew Qian FanSheng was there for her. However, the guards were already in front of the gates blocking him from entering, and she did not want to go out to meet the man - knowing how persistent he was.