1.84 Warm Winter (2)

HeShan and SunChen tactfully headed back to their home first, after YuLan gave clear instruction to them to buy a bunch of spinach to make some jade dumplings for Xiao Hui. Although she was the one who usually make them, HeShan also knew how to make dumpling skins, and it should not be too hard for him to incorporate the spinach into the dough. 

HeShan's dumplings were subpar, if compared to hers, but YuLan decided that her pregnant friend must make do with it.

She did not want to go back yet.

The group decided to head to Old Qian's estate, to announce their arrival properly. Previously, they had sent a messenger ahead, about half a day before their arrival to notify Old Qian. However, they still had to discuss the changes of security power, as well as Chao HuiBo's new authority on behalf of the Ministry of Finance in the future.

Obviously, now that they had seen the capability - or lack there-of - of the town lord's heir, they would need to have a long talk to Old Qian.

Zhen BuFeng and Prince Zhang JunLi walked in front, followed by SongLi and YuLan. SongLi kept fretting,

"Can't we buy some ointment for your wrists first?"

"It will heal," YuLan wryly smiled as he had asked the same question for the sixth time already, "Truly. I am alright."

"But!"

"Will Qian FanSheng keep his arms?" YuLan blurted, initially to change the topic from herself, but she quickly regretted it. SongLi's eyes turned from concern to rage as he was reminded of Qian FanSheng.

There were a lot of 'what if's in SongLi's mind at the moment, and he hated every single one of them.

"What if we had come late?"

"What if I had not heard her voice and went straight to the town lord's estate instead?"

"What if..."

He shook his head as he clenched his fists, his fingers digging into his palms. Then he tried to relax himself and took a deep breath to give him comfort,

"That is alright. I was not late. I am not late."

"Do you want him to keep his arms?", there was a low guttural growl after he spoke - his ire was not quite satiated. In fact, SongLi had severed several main muscles in Qian FanSheng's flexors, which would impact and limit the latter's arms and fingers movement in the future. 

Initially, as soon as he saw Qian FanSheng's fingers were gripping onto YuLan's wrists, he wanted to cut those fingers. But he feared he would accidentally injure YuLan as well, therefore he chose to strike another spot, further up.

"I am sorry," she looked at him with guilt in her eyes, 

"I am truly not concerned about him. But will you get in trouble for attacking a commoner?"

He could not help but to frown at her, a helpless smile on his face.

"Let alone a commoner. For your safety, I would even wage war with the gods if I need to."

Her long soft eyelashes slightly tremble as she looked up at him, and the subtle movement caused an itch in his heart. His anger was soon forgotten, as he could finally take in the figure that had accompanied his dreams for the lone nights over the past year. 

"She... is alright. She... is well."  

She was a bit different from his dreams, from his memory; but she was YuLan. She had grown slightly more taller again, and her bearing was as elegant as ever, her stature looked frail but her eyes were still proud. Everything about her...