1.51 Aging of a Beauty (1)

The banquet was conducted in spring, in an attempt to lift the spirits of all those who attended - despite the theme being a commemoration for the deceased.

The expansive yard in the outer grounds of the palace had been set up with several platforms, circular in arrangement. The highest platform was to host the Emperor and Empress; beneath them was to host the three Princes, then Princess Zhang XiuYa; then the concubines and all the other imperial children.

Various seats and platforms for the officials and magistrates had also been set up in accordance to their ranks - the closer and the higher to the Emperor, the more important positions they had in the Empire.

The Ji clan and Zhen clan's platforms were to the left and to the right of the Emperor's platform respectively, signifying their status.

Another platform had been set up as the center stage - that was to host various performers and dancers for the day.

The center stage became the separation between the seats that had been set up for the public and the Emperor's platform.

Ji ChanFang had taken his seat, along with his main wife WuJianRui, and even his second wife Hai FenChu. Ji SongLi was also there, sitting to the other side of his father.Wu JianRui would never normally be seen in such public outings, let alone Hai FenChu who had second wife status. Nevertheless, the Emperor stressed in his edict that all family members of both Ji clan and Zhen clan were to be present.

Even on the platform hosting the Zhen clan, the already retired Old General Xun - Zhen BuFeng's grandfather - made his appearance.

The chosen public - the family members of the deceased soldiers that had been selected to attend the banquet - had their best attires on. Although this was to commemorate the passing of their loved ones, the banquet was edicted by the Emperor himself - no one would have the gall to appear in tardiness.

The seats gradually filled up, even the Royal Family's children have all taken their seats. Finally, one of the higher ranked eunuchs announced the Emperor and Empress' arrival.

The Empress had her perfectly manicured hand in the Emperor's palm as both made their way towards their seats.