1.44 Tumultuous Heart

Another full day had passed when SongLi and BuFeng finally arrived at the gates of Liu YangHuan's residence. 

The day before, not long after BuFeng left, Prince JunLi had asked some of the Imperial Guards to send Princess XiuYa back to the palace, despite the protests of the latter. Himself, the Crown Prince, and Prince GuoFu stayed in the estate.

The two old scholars had also left to Wu DanShao's residence, allowing extra rooms at Liu YangHuan's estate to be allocated to the Princes. Chao HuiBo and Chao MeiHua, of course had also returned to their house, having no further excuse to stay longer.

The servants were shocked out of their wits as three bloodied figures stumbled inside the gates towards the inner residence. The figure in the middle - despite the largest of the three - was clearly unconscious as his weight was being supported by the two men by his side. 

These servants belonged to Liu YangHuan. Ever since their real master gave reign to the Ji clan to use his estate, they had grown accustomed to seeing the two younger men - Ji SongLi and Zhen BuFeng. But they had definitely never seen the unconscious man in the middle yet.

The ruckus caused HeShan, SunChen, YuLan, LanBai, and the Madams to also go to the living room.

The Crown Prince, having seen Ji ChanFang's clearly gray skin, relayed his order to one of his Imperial Guards,

"Go to the palace and ask Imperial Father to send an imperial physician to Liu YangHuan's residence."

He added, "Tell him the matter concerns General Ji's life or death. He won't refuse and will naturally send the best."

It was no secret to him that his Imperial Father - Emperor Zhang - and General Ji were sworn brothers.

Wu JianRui's face turned white as she stood stoned at her place, looking at her unmoving husband. If Hai FenChu did not stand by her side, her swaying figure would have already fallen to the floor.

The Imperial Guards aided to carry Ji ChanFang into a clean empty room in the inner part of the residence. The two Madams, Meng-momo, and Ji LanBai followed. YuLan asked Xiao Lin, Xiao Han, and Xiao Su - the three girls from the orphanage - to follow LanBai as well. Their help would definitely be needed by the Madams. Xiao Hui was still attending to JingMo, and Xiao He was already busy in the kitchen.

SongLi and BuFeng plopped their bodies tiredly in the seats in the living room. YuLan handed two cups of water, one each to the two young men. She then instructed some servants to prepare some clean water for the two men to freshen up.

Looking at Ji SongLi and Zhen BuFeng - she finally could rest her worries a little. Despite fatigued, the two were not seemingly hurt.

SongLi received the water and quickly gulped it down his throat. He set the empty cup aside, and looked up towards her. Her expression was now tranquil, but more than anything, he was  elated to see the faint concern in her eyes.

As wretched as it might sound, he was delighted to be the source of her concern. Because that meant, his presence meant something to her. 

He stood up, and now YuLan could clearly see his robe smeared with dry blood. BuFeng was also smeared with blood, but it looked more grotesque on SongLi as BuFeng wore an armor. YuLan cautiously lifted her hand, wanting to touch the sleeve of SongLi's robes that was marked with red. SongLi caught her hand and smiled,

"These are not my blood."

YuLan gazed up at the young man's gentle eyes. As she nodded, SongLi stepped forward and suddenly wrapped his arms around her smaller figure. Her still outstretched hand was pinned between his chest and hers, gripped inside his own palm.