1.38 Prelude (1)

JingMo just stared at the blue sky, wanting to ignore the screeching noise of complain from the large bird currently perching on his shoulder.

(Niu the eagle(1))

His eagle had returned to him about a few moments ago --

-- without JingHan.

He clearly had sent this well-trained bird - his precious eagle named Niu(1) - to deliver news to his sworn brother, JingHan. Although JingMo always regarded JingHan as his own brother, he had grown accustomed of calling the latter 'Master' - after all, his father was also a vassal of JingHan's father. Therefore, he kept referring at him as such.

But why did Niu come back alone? Why didn't JingHan just follow the bird to reach where JingMo would be waiting for him - right at Ming Town?

He always knew JingHan was directionally challenged, but he did not realize that the man was so stubborn that he would not even want to follow the eagle's direction.

Niu the eagle was still squawking ruefully, and JingMo just tried his best to dull his ears. There was actually a more pressing matter at hand at the moment --

-- he had been spying on the Ji family ever since he found out from Xiao Hui that one of the qin players from the Ji family had a vanishing flower marking.

Both qin players seemed to be noble young ladies - so he was convinced that the person JingHan and himself had been looking for all these years was somehow raised under Ji family's shelter as their own family member.

Hence, he sent Niu to deliver that letter to JIngHan.

But a number of days ago, there had been some carriages that had left the Ji estate. With his surveillance and spying effort, he found out that all the female members from the Ji family, including Xiao Hui, had gone with the Princes to Da Lang.

He wanted to follow them, but he thought he should at least wait for JingHan to arrive, before making their next move.

But this morning, even before the sun peeked through the horizon, there was a ruckus at Ji estate. He saw a blur of movements of some profiles - clearly not with the best of intentions - climbing the walls of the estate.

There had been some sound of metallic blows of weapons, some grunts, clear smell of blood.

As the estate grew quiet, and the morning was gradually blessed by sunlight, JingMo realized that the situation was not too good for him to stay idle for too long. But for him, as long as the young lady with the vanishing flower mark was out of harm's way, he did not really want to stick his nose into any unnecessary business.

When he was still deciding, a few black clad figures - with their faces obscured behind clothes - jumped over the walls, escaping from the Ji estate.