1.57 Farewell (1)

The day Ji LanBai and Ji ChanFang headed to the Palace was pleasantly sunny. Although the weather was cool, there was not a single cloud in the sky.

Meng-momo and Wu JianRui dressed Ji LanBai to the best of their ability. If usually she wore simple muted dresses, at that day, she wore peach colored inner robe, but yellow outer dress, embroidered intricately with small flowers. Her hair was adorned with some flower ornaments. The whole ensemble added more charm to her beautiful youthful face and elegant profile –

--at least Wu JianRui hoped that Ji LanBai would remember to always stay elegant in front of the Empress, and not only when she was not speaking.

Bai YuLan looked at the beautifully made up teenager with conflicted heart. There was no doubt that she would not change her mind from leaving, but YuLan still spent all remaining morning time to see and observe Ji LanBai,

So that YuLan would remember this beautiful presence for the rest of her life.

Ji LanBai looked like a goddess, a painting coming into life.

Who knew when they would meet again.

After Ji ChanFang and Ji LanBai left, it was their turn to prepare for their departure.

YuLan did not have a lot of luggage she wanted to carry. She even left most jewelleries and dresses bestowed to her by the family. However, she definitely did not leave as a pauper: she had substantial saving from the days of her performing in Lian house and several tea-houses in the capital.

Ji SongLi walked inside the front gates from outside – he was getting some horses ready before. It was almost time to their departure, and it would be best to leave as soon as possible, even earlier if they could. He initially knocked YuLan's room, but the room was found to be already empty. Finally, he found YuLan standing awkwardly in front of the tightly shut door of Hai FenChu's room.

His mother had refused to interact normally with YuLan ever since she decided to leave. For Hai FenChu, she felt bertrayed.

SongLi sighed,

"A lot of people in this family are so attached to her... ."

As YuLan noticed his presence, she turned to smile wryly at him, "Second Madam still refuses to see me... even now... ."

To her surprise, SongLi suddenly took her hand.

And he knelt in front of Hai FenChu's door. YuLan could only follow his lead, kneeling, as her own body was lightly pulled down.

"Mother. This son is leaving. But I will be back. YuLan is also leaving. Who knows when she will see you again."

He paused to look at her – YuLan could not tell what he was currently thinking. He gestured towards the door, then the floor as he bowed his own body, and only then YuLan understood.