1.30 To The Capital (1)

When they realized that the sky was getting darker, they finally decided to head back to Ji estate. Ji LanBai, Bai Yulan, Xiao Hui and Xiao Lan boarded one larger carriage; Ji SongLi and Zhen BuFeng swiftly jumped onto their horses. 

Prince GuoFu was also going to mount his horse, when Prince JunLi walked towards him,

"Third Brother, do you mind if I have your horse this time?" He asked, while looking at the two Generals' sons who were now chatting animatedly - clearly about some sword or spear arts. There was a twinkle in the second Prince's eyes. 

He normally would sit inside the Imperial carriage, together with the Crown Prince. But how could he stay still inside some carriage when there were two perfectly astounding young martial artists in front of him; especially when he himself had trained in both form of martial arts during his younger years.

Prince KongJing scoffed from behind him, "Martial art maniac!" 

He shook his head lightly and pulled his third brother away, "Come, Third Brother. We can both just sit inside the carriage and enjoy the scenery back. What is so fun in riding a horse anyway. You will end up with pain on your legs."

Zhang GuoFu could not say anything else as he was half-dragged away by his eldest brother. Prince JunLi grinned and quickly mounted the horse, lightly tapping his feet to its belly to urge it forward. He quickly reached SongLi and BuFeng and joined their conversation - three horses treading side by side, their riders' eyes bright while their hands occasionally mimic some movements of their family arts.

Prince KongJing, finally seated inside the carriage, started to wave his fan slowly. Prince GuoFu sat by his left side.

Their carriage - reined and flanked by their own guards accompanying them from the capital city - moved slowly, and reached the carriage with LanBai and YuLan in it. Both carriages were now moving side by side. Zhang GuoFu lifted the thin bamboo screen covering his carriage's window to observe the Ji estate's carriage.

The other carriage had their window fully covered. He could only make out some vague silhouettes behind the muslin curtain, but could not figure out who they belonged to.

"Has Third Brother missed his little fiancee, already?" Prince KongJing suddenly spoke, amused tone in his teasing voice. Then he added with almost a whisper, "Or is Third Brother thinking of another young lady in that very same carriage?"

Zhang GuoFu quickly dropped the screen at this remark, and turned to look at his eldest brother --

-- Zhang KongJing's lips were hidden behind his fan, GuoFu could not see if the latter was smiling or if his lips were pursed in judgment. But there was no usual mirth in his eyes.

"What does Eldest Brother mean?" Zhang GuoFu cautiously asked.

The Crown Prince fixated his gaze at him - his eyes sharp and penetrating, unlike his normal jovial conduct. Zhang GuoFu was reminded of a tiger hunting its prey. Then he finally turned his head to look at the carriage's inner walls,

"Third Brother will do well to remember," he spoke, that cheerfulness now back in his voice, "When you try to grasp too much sand," he paused,

"You will end up with nothing."

There was a trail of cold sweat trickling down Zhang GuoFu's back. For some time, only the sound of their pulling horses' hooves echoed inside the carriage. He cautiously added,

"Surely Eldest Brother has also been charmed by a bright pearl masquerading as a plain pebble?"

At this, Prince KongJing actually let out a hearty laugh,