1.48 Harrassment

"One silver tael, Miss," The herbalist handed a bulky pouch of herbs.

YuLan accepted the pouch, but lightly frowned, "Forgive me, Sir, as this is the first time I was sent to purchase these herbs. However, I was told that the price should be at least two silver taels?"

Two silver taels was still expensive, but the herbs purchased were rare. Not to mention, the herbal shop where YuLan was at, was the only one in the whole Zhang Empire that stocked the ingredients. The herbal shop had connections to merchants from outside the empire as well, therefore having access to different plants and herbs not commonly found domestically.

Previously, the herbs were bought by Meng-momo, and the more expensive price was deemed fair by the prescribing Imperial Physician Su. And when Meng-momo previously made the purchase, the quantity of herbs was definitely less than what YuLan had just received.

The herbalist unexpectedly bowed his body and folded his fingers together in humble gratitude, "Miss, please don't mention the price. The Ji clan has not delayed sending remunerations to my deceased nephew's bereaved family," his voice was choked with emotion,

"He was one of trusted aides of the General. Alas, he perished under the scheme of Dong Tribe," there was a hint of anger in his tone as well.

"The financial aid received by his grieving wife will definitely ensure she will live well for the rest of his life," He sighed, "Alas, my nephew would not be able to see his unborn child grow up... . His wife is almost due for labor... ."

YuLan lowered her head and stayed silent. The herbalist, noticing her somber response, quickly added,

"Don't get me wrong, Miss. I do not blame the Ji family at all. My nephew had been very proud to be a soldier of the Ji clan."

YuLan could only thank the herbalist and did not press the monetary issue further. She did not want to take advantage of the herbalist, but what could she say further if the person in question insisted to not receive the money?

As she made her exit out of the shop, HeShan and SunChen were already waiting for her,

"Heading back now?", HeShan asked, offering his hand to carry the pouch of herbs. YuLan nodded and was about to hand the pouch to him,

"He-laoshi. Sun-laoshi!", a male voice was heard, calling them.

They turned their heads to see Chao HuiBo – still in his court's uniform – hurriedly walked towards them as soon as he dismounted from his horse.

Chao HuiBo – although still young – had attended the Imperial Court along with his father. He was the heir of the Minister of Finance's household; if their family wanted to still have some standing in the court in the future, he had to get acquainted with civil and political matters any chance he could.

Even all the Princes had attended courts much younger than he did – though that also came with their own birth obligation.

SunChen let out a soft groan as he saw Chao MeiHua followed behind her brother, -

-and lo and behold, with her good friend Princess Zhang XiuYa. Both young ladies had veils covering their faces as they stepped off their carriages. Both were – as always – impeccably dressed.

Such was the number one priority of normal females in Da Lang: to present themselves to the best of their ability, at least appearance wise.

Chao HuiBo cupped his fists towards the three of them, and nodded in a polite greeting towards YuLan, who curtsied back at him lightly.

"Young Master Chao?" HeShan noticed the flustered expression on the youth's face, "What might have caused you to be in such a hurry?"

Chao HuiBo was only swallowing a mouthful of saliva to soften his parched throat before he was about to answer, but Princess Zhang XiuYa quickly stepped forward. Although her face was hidden behind the veil, no one could have missed the hostility from her straight and proud figure.